January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Ultra Tec Motor Noise
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:08 pm 

I'm considering buying a used (2003) V2. The motor seems to operate fine, but it growls considerably. Since I've never seen another V2, is this typical or is there likely a problem with it? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Ultra Tec Motor Noise
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:13 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Diamonds

I am not sure what the sound emanating from the motor is, but i would guess that the brushes in the motor are worn.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:42 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

fatmax,

Could also be that the drive cone is adjusted too close top the drive plate. Change the drive cone position (a set screw on the motor side of the drive cone), until the cone no longer touches the place. See if you get the same noise. If so, call Ultra Tec and ask for help. They are very helpful and will work with you.

A 2003 machine is practically brand new as these things are well built, so anything wearing out, such as brushes is unusual.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:05 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Ultra Tecs are quite noisy, even new ones, until you get used to it. To test the motor, do as suggested above and also feel if after ten minutes of running it is more than just mildly warm to the touch. If it is hot, there is a problem. If it has been idle for a long time, the neoprene drive cone may have developed a flat spot. This causes a rumble, but goes away after a few minutes, unless the neoprene has perished, which for such a young machine is unlikely. If it is on its original box stand, that may resonate, as may the table it is on, which exacerbates any noise from the machine itself. My three year-old 'new' UT machine stands on a firm foam rubber sheet to minimise this. My 42 year-old 'old' UT machine is mounted in the top of a heavy teak bench and runs more quietly despite its age.
Duncan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:25 am 

Thanks for the advice. I disassembled the motor (very easy to do). The brushes and bearings are fine. The motor runs smoothly and much quieter outside and detached from the box. The bearings on the platen are fine too. The principal cause of the growl seemed to be from the cone being pressed too tightly to the platen. I put some foam beneath the box and the motor noise is tolerable now.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:02 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Diamonds

Call me Mr. Obvious, but if I could determine an improvement in the UT machine, I would get rid of the cone friction drives and either use a belt/shieve or machine the platen on the motor shaft making it direct drive.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:45 pm 

Much of the noise comes from the motor. Leeson may make an equivalent motor. They are used in the Graves machines and are much quieter than the RAE motor used in the Ultra Tec.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:30 am 
Valued Contributor

I noticed in my machine the cone friction system is totally silent. The growling came from motor and wooden box resonated it.

Installing the machine to the table and running it at 110V instead of 240V made the difference.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:21 am 
Moderator: Lapidary Arts and Tools

Quote:
I would get rid of the cone friction drives and either use a belt/shieve or machine the platen on the motor shaft making it direct drive.

It's a packaging decision. They wanted a low profile base without a motor sticking up from the back. A direct drive option would require a flat profile motor like the Kollmorgan types that can be found used...New, they cost between $800-1200. For direct drive, you need torque-Lots of it. By using mechanical reduction, either with the friction drive or a belt drive, a one Fleapower motor the size of an orange juice can can turn a lap. Slowly!

My direct drive bases are not really manufacturable or affordable.

My present personal machine requires 12" below the tabletop. Not many people are going to tolerate that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:02 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

mikko wrote:
Installing the machine to the table and running it at 110V instead of 240V made the difference.

Hi Mikko - Does running on 110 V slow down your machine? I run my 'new' UT on 220 V (mains standard here) and never use it above half the maximum speed (8 on the dial). Running it at full speed not only makes it sound like its going to take off, but the waste water forms a grit-laden aerosol cloud that I don't want to breathe. My 'old' UT is a 110 V model, runs off a transformer, and is quieter and slower, so when cutting it runs at full speed. I'm wondering if I should run my new machine off a transformer. (Joe Rubin has told me the modern machines recognise the voltage automatically).
Duncan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:25 pm 
Valued Contributor

you might be able to paint the inside of the box with the stuff the paint the wheel arches of cars with to deaden road noise. You can get it at any automotive store. you might have to disassemble the whole machine to to that though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:58 pm 

I think I may try Sonic Barrier 3/4 3-Layer Damping Material.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:12 am 

I do not know what UT uses for a controller, but often the switchmode SCR controlers themselves can make the motor grunt, whine, and growl. The motor attempts to act as a loudspeaker. They chop the AC sine wave, then rectify the mess. Full wave controllers are less noisy, but the only silent power source is straight ripple-free DC. Most of these small motors have 90V armatures.
A Variac, fullwave rectifier and a capacitor will make these motors dead quiet.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:31 am 

Would an 1000uf 200v electrolytic capacitor between the motor leads provide additional ripple filtering and reduce motor growl?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:37 am 

Sometimes they work well. I use a toroidal choke.