January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: i am a complete beginner and need help getting started
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:32 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

I am a beginner when it comes to faceting and need some advice. I bought a LEE INDUSTRIES facet mast on ebay and it came with a whole set of dops two transfer jigs a couple different index wheels and a few other things (that i have no idea what they are). First of all, will someone tell me what some of this other stuff is and what they are used for (see picture)?
also, I obviously need a flat lap grinder/polisher or the mast is no good. To be honest, I am on a very tight budget (between 100-200$) since i bought the faceting mast and accessories but i figured i would rather have the different things that come along with this lot rather than just a faceting machine and thats all.
I haven't payed yet so if i made the wrong decision, please tell me. I am very handy and i have built things a lot more complicated than a faceting machine. Should i buy a used flat lap (new laps of course) and just set the mast up with it or should I assemble the whole thing by buying the arbor, motor, belt and everything? which will be cheaper? which will be better?

Attachments:
faceting machine3(1).jpg
faceting machine3(1).jpg [ 66.73 KiB | Viewed 1413 times ]
faceting machine2(1).jpg
faceting machine2(1).jpg [ 74.29 KiB | Viewed 1413 times ]
faceting machine(1).jpg
faceting machine(1).jpg [ 68.83 KiB | Viewed 1413 times ]
 Post subject: Re: i am a complete beginner and need help getting started
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:45 am 
Valued Contributor

I can tell you what some of this stuff is. I have labeled your pictures.
Attachment:
faceting machine(2).jpg
faceting machine(2).jpg [ 69.24 KiB | Viewed 1367 times ]

Attachment:
faceting machine2(1).jpg
faceting machine2(1).jpg [ 74.28 KiB | Viewed 1367 times ]

A: this whole set look like a preformer. not sure how it works but the Bakelite shapes would be templates but that is just a guess. I have no idea how to use this. check the manuals there is probably an explanation in there.

B1 and B2: These are transfer jigs. They are used to turn the stone over to cut the crown when you have finished cutting the pavilion - or vice versa if you choose to cut in that order.

C: this is the faceting mast and head.

D: The picture is pretty small but these look like index wheel they are used to split the rotation of the stone into a different numbers of divisions to allow you to cut different designs.

E: These are Dops. The black dops with the large blocks on the ends just behind the faceting head appear to be your 45 degree adapter and the one one with the round bar flattened to a V on both sides appears to be an alignment tool. possibly some kind of alignment tool.

F: Not exactly certain about these but they seem to be diamond cups. They attach to the spindle of the faceting machine and are used to cut stars and cats eyes cabs.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:40 am 
Valued Contributor

Hi Iggymac,

Ozymandias has identified about as much as possible from the pictures. Ideally this post should be in the lapidary section, there may be some members who are familiar with this equipment.

You will be able to facet stones with the complete machine but will have some limitations as to designs you will be able complete if the angles can only be split by 1/4 degrees.

Making a base is not too difficult but does require a bit of cash and precision machining. A 1/4 HP dc electric motor and speed controller will set you back more that $ 200, then a 3/8'' or 1/2'' aluminium plate with machining and anodizing plus the arbor assembly is going to push you closer to $ 400. A windscreen wiper motor is a poor option.

I built my base using a Graves motor and controller, check out their website, Graves faceting, faceting machines, spare parts to get an idea of pricing.

Good luck.

Regards, Sean.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:02 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

omg! thanks so much![b]i appreciate the help so much! I guess I got more than I even knew I was getting. I think I am just going to buy a flat lap on ebay as well. When you have spent 600 on a good lot of stuff what is another 400 to make sure the first six can actually be put to use.
What you said about "only being able to cut corner degrees" is that because of the mast or index or what? Also, I meant to ask... What sort of stones should I practice on? I mean, I have a bunch of quartz and amethyst to get used to the machine. Also, I have been cabbing on my buddies grinder/polisher for awhile,so I am pretty decent at that.
The thing is, I have a few hundred maybe 1000 or so carats of mexican opal that my great grandfather left me in his last will and testament. I know that it is extremely hard to cut and polish but some of the bigger pieces are just SO GORGEOUS! I actually wanted to make a second engagement ring for my fiance out of one of the 18 carat pieces. It has thks blue lustre with just the slightest bit of evenly dispersed fire... real nice!
If somebody knows someone that specializes in opal, I would REALLY APPRECIATE it!
[/b]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:59 pm 
Gold Member

If you want to build your own base you might look at the following pate, it has a base as well as a complete machine.

http://www.gearloose.com/why.html

I do not want to put you of asking questions...... If you are like me you also want quick answers, and look several times a day to see what people have said.

I recommend that you learn the search feature. Believe it or not the question of which lap and what to cut forst has ben asked before.

Try some searches like that and you will probably find a thread with 19 or 20 replies in it.

AGAIN not wanting to stop you from asking, this is a friendly group and they will reply. But if uyou learn the search feature, then when you have polishig questions, or mounting questions you can search and find answers very quickly.

By the way congratulations on the opel from your grand father, please practice on other stuff first.

BY the way see if you can find this topic on beginning material.

Beginning faceting with glass

Welcome to the forum, and good luck if you decide to build your own base.... it can be done if you have a few of the correct tools.... if not the tools will cost more tan a decent base.

I have seen some bases go pretty cheap on ebay, so you might wait and see if one comes up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:12 am 
Valued Contributor

As far as the faceting head and mast goes, in order to Facet a stone you need to be able to achieve a few fundamental functions:
1) Height adjustment of the faceting head on the mast. Ideally a fine height adjustment as well.
2) Angle adjustment, I'm not sure but I think your head has a vernier arrangement. On some older machines the angle can only be split by a quarter of a degree. This is a limiting factor on designs which call for one tenth of a degree. I believe there are ways to get around this but have never used one myself.
3) Indexing, seems your head has 3 index plates so should be no problem.
4) Radial 'cheater', located on the quill, this allows you to do radial corrections to facets, very useful during polishing.
I've never cabbed anything so cannot offer advice.

Good luck,
Sean.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:14 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

I reckon you are a bit like a slow motion train wreck at the moment.
If you have no idea what you are doing, go and join a lapidary club, find a mentor, and get it together!!
From what I see in the photos, you have a very long way to go.
The kindness of the replys, and the patience being displayed, is great, but you need at least a basic knowledge of where you are going, and buying all sorts of "stuff", with no real plan, is just wasting your time, and money.
You are buying laps, with no machine base to mount them on. Why?
Facetting, in itself, is easy, but the steps leading you to finally lowering the quill to the lap for the first time, and knowing what you are trying to achieve, are quite complex.
I say to you again, find somewhere to get some basic lessons, and good luck!
Barry.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:07 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

The doohickey to the left of the dops (E), also pictured in the upper right of "faceting machine2(1).jpg", is a Lee 90° table adapter--used for cutting and polishing the top of your stone.

Patuxent Lapidary Guild