January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: facetron or something else?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:41 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

I'm new to the faceting world, so new in fact that I still haven't cut my first stone. I'm interested in a Facetron or a machine of equal quality that takes most of the guess work out of cutting. I mine for Herkimer Diamond Quartz crystals and often times I come across a nice sized, water clear shard but I can't sell them. They normally get tossed but then I saw a couple youtube videos on the facetron and decided that I could turn shards into $$. The initial start up cost of the machine is what has been keeping me from faceting. I've emailed the company twice about buying it a piece at a time and have yet to receive an email back. That makes me wonder if I should go with a different machine. I'd hate to email a problem I'm having and not get any customer service out of the deal.

I'm interested in something that's gonna really get me started in faceting. I'd love to build my own but I'm no machinist. Is there a machine cheaper then the facetron that works equally as well or that can be purchased a piece at a time? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Than you for reading and have a great day. Jason :)

Post subject: Re: facetron or something else?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:29 pm 
Valued Contributor

Most faceting machines will cost between $1600 to 5000. Graves has the cheapest price for a new unit I think.

You can also sometimes find a used unit on ebay, craigslist or the USFG mailing list.

I do not know of anyone that would sell the machine a piece at a time. You would need to save enough to buy a machine, new or used.
When you get a faceting machine, then comes the next step, to learn how to facet. You have to learn it like you would any new skill. You will not be able to sell your first stones for buckets of $$$. To make money with faceting, you have to become good enough that yours stones are better than commercial stones and you have to cut good rough to sell for good money.

I have been faceting for about 3 years and I am still learning. Still improving. I can now sell enough stones that it pays for my hobby.

Wayne Wilson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:14 pm 

If you're really wanting to go all-in on faceting and pick it up as a new hobby/skillset I'd say it's a great idea. I think you'd have a great deal of fun with it, and it would be a logical extension of your mining business. But if you're just wanting to get some Herkimer facet rough cut to make a few extra bucks, it might make more sense to just send your rough overseas to be faceted. I may be wrong, but I doubt that cutting herks alone would give you a good return on investment--after all, though they look significantly better than almost any other colorless quartz in the rough, when cut they're pretty much like any other rock crystal. Overseas cutting has its risks and it usually takes a long time to come back, but it's cheap and the results can be quite reasonable.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:21 am 

The rough that I get can yield some rather large stones. In some cases I'm sure I could make 50+ carat flawless gems. I just can't see paying to have something done if I can do it myself in my spare time. I'd really like to get into cutting them myself even if it means doing away with another hobby or two to do it. Thank you for your replies and I'll look into some other machines and see what else I can find.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:57 am 
Valued Contributor

Greetings,

It took me over a year untill I saved up enough money to get a Graves Mark 5XL based on the recomendations of the experts here. I have been faceting for almost a year now and I think that the 5XL is a good machine to start with, however I do not have any experiance with any other machine.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:27 am 
Valued Contributor

Facetnator wrote:
Greetings,

It took me over a year untill I saved up enough money to get a Graves Mark 5XL based on the recomendations of the experts here. I have been faceting for almost a year now and I think that the 5XL is a good machine to start with, however I do not have any experiance with any other machine.

Once you learn the basics of faceting, going from one machine to another is not hard. Yes, each machine is made a bit different, but the angles and indexes work the same. I use a ratech shaw, but a family member got a new Graves. I showed him how to use it after a few minutes of looking it over. I could cut a stone as quickly and as well as I do on my own machine.

Wayne Wilson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:57 pm 

Good to know. :) Thanks guys

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:18 pm 
Gold Member

I would ook at 3 machines.

Facetron
Ultra Tech
Graves xl5

For the price would go for a Raytech. ( I bought a used ultra tech and paid for some upgrades, and having problems iwht wear and tear. I wish I had bought the xl5. ....... )

Consider a used machine, if you are willing to do some work on it. You usually get the extra bits and some rough.

The next question will be which laps.... search the lapidary forum for colored stones, there is a few times that tis has been asked.

If you are going to do a lot of quartz. then look at the gearloose products that polish that very well.

god luck

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:14 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Diamonds

Graves 5XL
Poly-Metric Scintillator 88 or Xristal-Tek 99.

Last edited by thomas.adamas on Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:51 am 
Valued Contributor

Quote:
I would ook at 3 machines.

Facetron
Ultra Tech
Graves xl5

Quote:
Graves 5XL
Ultra Tec V2 or V5
Poly-Metric Scintillator 88 or Xristal-Tek 99.

There is no denying that there are lots of of good machines out there with great reputations for quality. I personally use a VJ (shameless plug in case you missed it). I will give the same advice that I give to everyone that is looking at purchasing a faceting machine. Faceting is a very personal thing. What work for one person may not work for another. What one person might consider an asset, another may consider a liability.

Visit a gem club try out their machines. Talk to members they may let you try their machines. Find out what you like and do not like. A machine you have been looking at may not suit you after you try it out - it could have been a costly mistake.

Bottom line do your homework find out what you want. Faceting machines are expensive so you really want to get it right the first time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:13 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Diamonds

The VJ faceting machine is good quality. It has some similarities to the recently deceased Facette. If I lived in Australia, I would consider purchasing one. I prefer U.S. and Canadian suppliers for parts and service however as I live in the U.S.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:14 am 
Valued Contributor

Quote:
The VJ faceting machine is good quality. It has some similarities to the recently deceased Facette. If I lived in Australia, I would consider purchasing one. I prefer U.S. and Canadian suppliers for parts and service however as I live in the U.S.

Definitely something to consider and something I forgot to mention. Sending a machine across the country for service and or repairs is expensive. Sending one overseas would cost an arm and a leg. Then there is the time it would take too...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:35 pm 
Gold Member

From what I have seen, Zane at Poly-Metric is an OCD machinist. Another one I know who is almost a perfectionist likes them too and that was enough for me. I have a Graves Mk 5XL and like it. Like all machines, it has its quirks (no reverses is one - but the base still works well for a 60's design). And the Ultra Tec is top tier. It is plug and play if you go concave later, but there are few folks that go to concave cutting, to that is like a 3% consideration. The Poly-Metric and Graves are going to run neck and neck on price.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:53 pm 

Hi,

I think it shows that each one to his own here, I live in the UK and 20 years ago I was faceting with a Raytec Shaw, unfortunatly I sold it when pressure of work did not give me the time I needed to facet.

I am now waiting for a 240v Raytec Shaw machine to be delivered to me here in the UK, no digital meters, read outs or dials but this machine will cut some superb gems, it looks basic compared to some mast machines, all of which are able to cut fine gems, each have a dedicated following and you must listen to all the comments and then make up your own mind what to buy, I don't think in all honesty there are any 'bad' new faceting machines.

good luck,

Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:15 pm 
Gold Member

George, the last I saw, the cheaper digital Poly-Metric was over $1000 more than the Graves.

BTW, it's pretty simple to add a reversing switch. I don't know why Graves doesn't provide it.