January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: facetron or something else?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:32 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Arts and Tools

Quote:
BTW, it's pretty simple to add a reversing switch. I don't know why Graves doesn't provide it.

I asked them about this many years ago, and suggested a neutral off caplock switch.
It was because they got tired of warranty replacing motor controllers because so many people jammed them into Reverse while the lap was still spinning.
DC Motor connected to spinning flywheel=Stored energy driving a generator with voltage in the wrong direction for the semiconductors=Smoke and broken stuff.

Using a 3 pole switch would solve it.

For some reason people do not equate this with driving down the highway and jamming the car into reverse, even though it is mechanically identical.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:50 pm 
Gold Member

Gearloose wrote:
DC Motor connected to spinning flywheel=Stored energy driving a generator with voltage in the wrong direction for the semiconductors=Smoke and broken stuff.

This made me laugh.... I heard the story about the power plant that did not spin up the generator before putting it on the grid... Ripped that puppy right off the moorings. BIG mooring bolts... Non-spinning generator = motor when electricity is applied. :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:26 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Diamonds

But every other manufacturer has a forward and reverse switch on their machines.
I have never heard complaints about that feature from Facetron, Poly-Metric, Raytech, or Ultra Tec. Even, Omni/Patriot has a ccw/cw switch.
That explanation from Graves is not credible.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:28 pm 

Quote:
the story about the power plant that did not spin up the generator before putting it on the grid

HIGH DOLTAGE

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:34 pm 

Quote:
That explanation from Graves is not credible.

There were earlier reports of it happening with other machines. USFG archives. The fix is trivial, though.
It could have been a demographic problem. The machine addresses the beginner market, historically. Machines with more robust controllers give people more second chances, but it's still a bad thing to do.
My lathe has a "Flying Reverse" controller, but the price is an order of magnitude above anything people put into a faceting machine, regardless of who makes it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:52 pm 
Valued Contributor

A few things that you may want to also keep in mind.

First, I'm from the side that it's the cutter, not the machine that makes the finished stone. Cutting procedures are pretty much the same no matter what machine you use.

Next, you're going to need laps. Figure those into the price and get a good selection. I'm not trying to hype Jon's Gearloose Lapidary laps but he's done more for prepolishing and polishing than just about anyone I know. I love the things :mrgreen: . Don't leave out John Bailey's lightening lap or VooDoo polish for consideration. I've never used them but they've got a big following out there. Don't forget the cutting laps either. I mostly use a 1200 channel, a 1200 Nubond and then pre and final polish laps but I've also got a 325 for preforming and a 600 for the bigger stones.

If you can find a rock and gem club near you, you'll probably find some faceters in it that will be more than willing to let you take a spin on their machine, which of course, will always be the best one ever made Lol. Try as many as you can and go from there. The best machine for you will be the one that "talks" to you. I'm not telling you which machine I use but it's the best one for me and I've played with a lot of them :mrgreen:

Pete

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:55 pm 
Gold Member

Pete - a minor quibble. The Lightning Lap is actually a Marsh Howard product. http://www.lightninglap.com/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:48 am 
Valued Contributor

Whoops! I stand corrected and apologies to Marsh Howard. Any lap with as many recommendations as the lightning laps has gotta have a lot going for it =D>

Pete

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:59 pm 
Valued Contributor

I very recently got into faceting and bought an old used Facetron.

I am kind of disappointed with their customer service, or rather lack of, and the fact that they don't have any sort of electronic manual.

The machine was a little rough so I tore it down and cleaned it up. Opening it and examining the angle adjustment mechanism I was a bit disappointed at the quality of the components inside. For the price it commanded, I sort of expected precision ground, hardened steel components but some of the parts inside were pretty much hand made. Mind you, the design itself is pretty solid which saves them but on the flip side, they haven't changed their design for decades except for adding a dial indicator to the mix over a decade ago which means they have stagnated.

If I had a second chance, I'd probably put a bit more down (if it was available) for a newer ultra-tec machine. That company seems to be still innovating and their presence in the fiber optics polishing industry is a sign that they are still up to pace with technology.

The Facetron is by no means a bad machine though. It's a solid machine with proven technology. Maybe I just had some unreasonable expectations.

Either way, I think a proper digital angle adjustment design is the way to go as the wear on those components can be designed to be minimal or a non issue all together whereas mechanical systems are always subjected to wear.

I'm going to look into hacking my Facetron into a digital version.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:38 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Jason, just harking back to your cut, 50ct+, flawless quartz.
Who do you figure is going to buy such an ugly duckling?
Can we expect these to be a hit on the "red carpet" functions of 2015?
C'mon, you are posting stuff here to be read by some of the finest cutters in the world.
As well, an absolute treasury of expertise in every imaginable discipline to do with gems and jewellery.
These folks give a huge amount of their time to mentor newcomers, so lets give them some respect.
Scaro has suggested getting some cutting done overseas. Great idea, then you have something to try and sell, and it may cost you $1-2/ct.
When you start cutting, it may take you as much a 4-6 hours to complete a stone, that might sell for $10. Not much of a margin there, my friend.
Barry.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:51 pm 

Faken2 wrote:
If I had a second chance, I'd probably put a bit more down (if it was available) for a newer ultra-tec machine. That company seems to be still innovating and their presence in the fiber optics polishing industry is a sign that they are still up to pace with technology.

Their fiber optic polishing machines and faceting machines are two entirely different product lines.
The former line has received considerable R&D, the latter comparatively little.
Faken2 wrote:
The Facetron is by no means a bad machine though. It's a solid machine with proven technology. Maybe I just had some unreasonable expectations. Either way, I think a proper digital angle adjustment design is the way to go as the wear on those components can be designed to be minimal or a non issue all together whereas mechanical systems are always subjected to wear.
I'm going to look into hacking my Facetron into a digital version.

Think Beale-Wooley meter.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:17 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

thomas.adamas wrote:
Their fiber optic polishing machines and faceting machines are two entirely different product lines.

Oh Thomas, cut the transparent slander. Over 25 Ultra Tec upgrades since 1976 (according to the manufacturer) is "comparatively little"? Comparative to what?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:29 pm 

xenolithos wrote:
Oh Thomas, cut the transparent slander.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:31 pm 

xenolithos wrote:
thomas.adamas wrote:

Oh Thomas, cut the transparent slander. Over 25 Ultra Tec upgrades since 1976 (according to the manufacturer) is "comparatively little"? Comparative to what?

Compared to their fiber optic product line, which was not obvious to you. I think ultra tec would have to specify what they define as upgrades for their faceting machine line. For example, going from a American standard to metric threads is just a change in thread type.
I didn't make any false statements Duncan. So, please cut the ad hominem attacks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:47 pm 
Gold Member

25 upgrades in 38 years doesn't strike me as very impressive, but I suppose there hasn't been that much that needs upgrading.

On the other hand, I still see many attempts to upgrade the 3000+ year old garden hoe. "Call now, and we'll include the amazing space-age trowel at no extra cost!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next