January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: big faceted turquoise
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:22 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

I think it might surprise you what people will buy if they have a limited budget. Obviously they will want the price to match the treatments, but turquoise is quite popular even treated, particularly with craft-jewelers. Unfortunately, most of them don't know enough about what they have to disclose treatments, but even those that do usually don't have a problem selling stabilized or reconstituted turquoise.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:18 am 
Thanks for the comments folks. Simply put, peoples taste varies from one person to the next. Not to mention their budget.
To some, it only needs to be shiny. Or pretty. Or another one for their collection. Or it matches a pair of shoes or blouse. Maybe its a last minute gift. An impulse buy. Something to match their earrings, or eye color. The list goes on.
I am new at faceting, and cut whatever I feel like cutting. Not everything I cut is for sale. If I could facet a Hershey Kiss I would. Then If I mess it up I could just eat it. Maybe if I froze it first? Nah.
I think my first sale was an em cut Unakite pendant, 10x12 maybe a little bigger. I was just showing it at work and a guy whipped out $40 and sold! Who knew?
Now the rest of my Unakite rough is free. Made him earrings later.
I have sold a bunch of ruby in zoisite, some just like the Christmassy colors. One lady requested a 12x16 em cut in a ring. She loves it. Her friend wants earrings.
Should I have told them that they are just rocks and shouldnt be faceted, only cabbed? I think not.
There is a lot of info thats not out there. Did you know that rhodonite polishes great? I found out by trying a piece. Pink and shiny will sell.
I cut these 'rocks' because, why not? How else will I know what a finished piece looks like polished? Its not like it harms my machine or takes too much time.
My own budget has only recently allowed me to buy some of Gearloose's laps, still waiting on a few, this has allowed me a lot more possibilites as I was unable to polish what I wanted. That coupled with my new machine I will now see just how good I can be at cutting good rough.
Just finished a few topaz on it, so far so good.
I didnt have any trouble selling this, something like 16mm wide.
The lady that wanted the ring saw this pendant on her friend. Word spreads, I am happy.
Thats why I do this, keeps me happy and off the streets and out of bars. Puts a little jingle in the pockets too.
I will never be a competition cutter or cut garnets that sell for hundreds, but maybe just maybe I can teach someone else.
And now I can polish better. Thanks Gearloose
PS
Is it just me or has rough gone thru the roof?
Self taught in South Carolina signing off.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:15 pm 

nickatnight wrote:
Thanks for the comments folks. Simply put, peoples taste varies from one person to the next. Not to mention their budget.

I also make rather non-traditional jewelry especially focused on crystals, and it's amazing what people are aware of and willing to buy. For instance I have sold several pendants aegerine/acmite, a black and shiny but otherwise unexceptional amphibole. They weren't expensive and a lot of people are in the market for variety.

nickatnight wrote:
I will never be a competition cutter or cut garnets that sell for hundreds

Why not? OK, I know there's a lot of extra complications in the competition end of things, but in terms of cutting garnets that sell for hundreds I don't think any part of that is out of reach for you. You just need to get the right rough.

nickatnight wrote:
Is it just me or has rough gone thru the roof?

Not just you, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:34 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

nickatnight wrote:
There is a lot of info thats not out there. Did you know that rhodonite polishes great? I found out by trying a piece. Pink and shiny will sell.

Try hooking up with some cabbers--they all know what polishes (and with what polish).

nickatnight wrote:
Thats why I do this, keeps me happy and off the streets and out of bars. Puts a little jingle in the pockets too.

Amen, brother! Alas, it doesn't quite keep me out of the bars, but nowadays I visit less than I otherwise would ;)

Patuxent Lapidary Guild