January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: a display of color of a different kind. Aurora in AK
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:47 am 
Gold Member

did any one have any luck last week?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:52 pm 
Gold Member

On August 11 and 12th we're supposed to have some good meteor shower's so you guys may want to see if you have clear skies you can probably Google it and find the best time for your area.

I found a used Lens that is the one they recommend for Aurora up your Itza 11 to 16 zoom And we are now getting some astronomical twilight which is the darkness you need to be able to see stars etc. there's been some nice Aurora levels but we've had cloud cover eevery night. Very frustrating. There is a coronal hole that has been active in the past and is produced coronal mass ejection's actually had one as it was coming around the limb so maybe the next two weeks if we get a good alignment of the CME and clear whether I'll get some really nice new Aurora pictures for you . I might be able to get some new pictures. if we get some clear skies I'll try to take some scenery pictures with the new lens just to see how it's working. I much try some daylight pictures of the Aurora spots that I picked out so you can see what it's like during the day there good luck with the meteor shower them unfortunately there is cloud cover for the next couple days here in Alaska so I won't see it I was hoping to do time lapse with a new lens it would've been really nice shots but that's how it goes

For my own ref st 1854 reads

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:16 pm 
Gold Member

There has been good aurora, but on cloudy nights.

I did get a chance to try the new lens on some fireworks. It should work well for Aurora, but I was not close enough for the fireworks. I was not sure where they would be). I switched lenses mid show, and it took a while to get the focus correct.

for tracking hits 1873

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:25 am 
Gold Member

I took time to crop about 40 of the images (I think 38 of them made it)

Since this is not really a movie, I also slowed down the rate.

hope you enjoy.

It looks like the new lense is pretty good, I culd crop the images and they are still pretty decent.

We may be in for some luck tomorrow. WE are due for a G1 storm (level of 5) around midnight here. It is finally dark, and the skys should be clear.

I just looked and they changed the time, the peak will be much earlier, actually starting tomorrow evening when it is light. People in Michigan and Minnesota might be able to see something.

Anyhow some fireworks.

when I get some time I haveto clean this up, I have some dups. Must have cropped the raw inage and the jpg. I also see now how bad the focus is on some..... .... oh well.

for my tracking 1912 hits

I am the kind of guy that needs a pat on the head once in a while. I take it from the hots that people like this. But a comment would be nice.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:18 pm 
Gold Member

The Aurora did come out last night. BUT there was this cloud above the mountain (wind current thing) the rest of the sky was clear. Most of this was at a KP of around 3. I gave up when it drifted down to below 2. (about 2:00 AM) This display is from a Coronal Hole, and we should have some more display tonight and maybe tomorrow. I think it will peak before it is dark here, again. Grrrrrr. But I should have a few more hours with the KP around 3.

Start off wit the best, this is after I have been there a while and it is getting dark. I removed almost all of the the cars passing, This is 247 frames at 6 second exposure, and 2 seconds to process. So it is about a half an hour time lapse. (a little more).

Anyhow hope you enjoy. I need to go back and take out the passing cars on these.

I might be able to string a few of these together into a longer sequence. But that is more than I can think about right now. The rest are shorter 20 – 50 image clips

This one jumps a little, I was trying to get the zoom correct

This may be to may to put in one post, it seems slow on the preview. If it is a problem, -lease someone post a reply and I will break them out. (not sure that that will help or not)
hits at 1930

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:36 pm 
Site Admin

Quite the planet we live on, no?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:06 pm 
Gold Member

My daughter is doing a little better and had been taking the car to go to a friends. (a good thing) BUT the two times she has done it, there has been aurora. I have taken the ATV up the street and taken shots there, but there are houses and I am outside.I also cannot use the car battery to run the computer and camera, so I am limited in how log I can shoot. Last night both the Aurora and she were out. She send me a text saying she was coming home, just as I had finished a long series. So I packed up and started to head home. JUST THEN one of the best displays started right overhead. I took thecamera ans shot a series of pictures hand held. The camera is jumping, and some are out of focus, but this is that series.

I picked up a difffernt software package that I used to the long series, it can generate mp4 files, ut I have to download something to preview them before I decide if I want to use that. I have some very long series of over 1500 shots that I think would fit a movie format better. BUT I want to test the software, as well as see ow they look in IMGUR before I complete it. It will probaby take several hours to do the whole series, but it might be good.

SO….. a short jumpy out of focus GIF.

1965 hits

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:55 am 
Gold Member

I got around to making some GIFs out of the shots I took on the evening of 09 02. I also made it to the Alaska State Fair fireworks display. I was a lot closer this time, and many of the shots turned out well.

First some aurora in Wasilla AK. This is overlooking a lake by my daughters house. I started it at sunset, ad tried to track the aurora as best as I could. I should have taken longer exposures and make it a little lighter. I might try to lighten it up little later. I have the original raw files that I can process agan.

and fireworks at the state fair.

1983 hits

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:20 pm 

I finally got one of these velvet obsidians cut!
The resemblance really is amazing, down to the way the aurora moves when you turn it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:00 pm 
Gold Member

I agree and like it a lot. Very nice material, cut, and mounting. Well done.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:05 pm 
Site Admin

No kidding! That is terrific!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:44 pm 
Gold Member

I have some new software that is designed to make star trails. I was trying it out to see what it culd do with aurora, and I got this picture. I need to rework it a little this is over 1000 photos, and it is a little to much, I am loosing the star trails, and the aurora is turning nto more of a fog. But not to bad for a first try.

I have a anmated gif of this series, but I will have to load it later.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:28 am 
Gold Member

2016 Oct 13 Hatchers Pass Alaska

I think about 2013 hits

I fell asleep and there are over 2000 shots, I have to check and see if there is another good series

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:26 am 
Site Admin

Gorgeous shots, Wilson.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:28 pm 
Gold Member

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
Gorgeous shots, Wilson.

Thanks, I really appreciate the comments.

Later on I hope to paly with the star trails and see if I can play with them a little to get a noce circle of start trails with a crisp aurora, I think that that would be an interesting shot.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next