January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Tucson 2011 Seminars for Faceters
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:02 pm 
Gold Member

Excellent seminar yesterday (Tuesday) with L Bruce Jones presenting. Focused primarily on the equipment used in the science of forensic gemology. Very interesting, although I will never accumulate the kind of testing apparatus Bruce spoke of. Good to know the experts have this type of testing equipment at their disposal.

This is especially true as we land further and further into the realm of stones of previously unknown treatment status.

http://www.rogerdery.com

Post subject: Re: John Bailey on dopping techniques
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:11 pm 
Gold Member

Very useful info garnered today (Wednesday) regarding the various dopping techniques. John Bailey did not focus much on the actual equipment, but instead placed the emphasis on the differing types of adhesives - and when it was important to be using each one of them. And this included some hybrid dopping tech as well.

What I found most interesting (read: useful) was his improvised heat-shield device to be used when releasing one of the dops during a transfer. This was genius at work.

John, don't know if you hang out on GO, but big thanks to you for two excellent presentations. Very useful to new and experienced faceters.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:29 pm 
Gold Member

ROGER DERY wrote:
Excellent seminar yesterday (Tuesday) with L Bruce Jones presenting. Focused primarily on the equipment used in the science of forensic gemology. Very interesting, although I will never accumulate the kind of testing apparatus Bruce spoke of. Good to know the experts have this type of testing equipment at their disposal.

This is especially true as we land further and further into the realm of stones of previously unknown treatment status.

Bruce's talk was excellence coated in awesome sauce :-) Tom, Naomi and I loved it, and it was wonderful to hear from Dr Bill as well.

Cheers,

Lisa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:47 pm 
Gold Member

Hello faceters,
Now that the "Tucson season" is over, I thought I would offer some thoughts regarding the week of events.

1st - would like to thank the USFG board of directors for trusting Peter Torraca and me with such a project. It was great fun and am looking forward to next year.

2nd - a very special thank you to Elayne Luer GG of About Lapidary LLC. She made us welcome in every way and offered wide latitude when we needed adjustments to what we first proposed. Elayne thank you for all you did and we especially appreciate your willingness to be flexible.

3rd - thank you to all the special folks who did the little things that made the seminars a success -- Chris Price, Noel Rowe, Dale Carriere, Keith Wyman and others - you know who you are!

4th - a heartfelt thank you to our awesome presenters. John Bailey, L Bruce Jones, Stephen Kotlowski, and Steve and Nancy Attaway. I came away feeling very inspired and for that I thank you.

I look forward to seeing you all again next year. Hope you enjoyed the seminars as much as I did!