January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Can I put camera on my binocular microscope?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:02 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hey guys!
I have recently became an proud owner of Eickhorst Leica LCA S6 Gemmaster stereo zoom microscope (10x-64x) and as this was the best I could afford at the moment I am really satisfied.I remember hearing that there is extra equipment one can buy extra and use with your own camera (in my case Canon eos 550D) so taking pictures of inclusions would be possible.I don't need award winning pictures just the ones for my collection or to show it to the client.Can someone help me and instruct me as total laymen what it takes to make it possible ?To sum it up I would like to know if it's possible,where can I buy it and approx. how much would it cost?Thank you so much in advance

Post subject: Re: Can I put camera on my binocular microscope?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:48 pm 
Established Member

I don't know exactly what you would have to purchase to accomplish what you are trying to do, but maybe if you would look into how they a fix cameras to telescopes, you would be able to solve your situation. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:27 pm 
Platinum Member

http://www.eickhorst.com/en/gemmologica ... om-optics/

If you have the microscope on the right side then your options are as follows.

1) Stick an eyepiece camera in one of the eyetubes after pulling out the ocular. I would suggest a Motic outfit or one from PaxIt. There are cheaper ones on ebay but I have heard a lot of bad feedback about them. If the seller is highly rated and will accept a no questions asked return including a reasonable amount of time to try it you could try a cheaper one on ebay. These things change and these cameras have been around for a while.

2) Your other alternative is to remove and possibly sell the microscope and replace it with one like the one on the left side of the above page. I would not buy it from Eickhorst but from a microscope dealer. It also does not have to be a Zeiss. The stand you have has a now standard sized 76mm diameter ring. There are lots of 76mm scopes available from lots of sources. You would need to find one with a trinocular like the Zeiss 2000C pictured on the left. This is know to work and our fearless and intrepid leader goddess has one. You might find one a little more economical that would also work.

If you did buy another scope you then need to adapt the microscope to the camera which is another headache too but not insoluble. In that respect alternative number one is much easier.

You don't need to go out and buy the latest and greatest 37 megapixel full frame digicam either. Stereo microscopes don't need that many pixels because most of them don't have enough resolving power to require more than eight or maybe ten megapixels.

I went back and looked and saw that you have a Canon 550 D. A little heavy to hang on an ocular.
You need to get a trinocular scope. There ARE gadgets as mentioned above. They attach to your camera and have something similar to an eyepiece barrel and eyepiece lens.
23X15mm sensor size So you want a 1.2 to 2x projective ocular.

But I would just by a five or eight mp eyepiece camera. The 550 is too big to hang onto an eyepiece. It will break the interpupillary distance adjustment. I wouldn't even hang that heavy a camera on an old scope where it was made of metal. Now they are made of plastic.

If I can be of assistance send me a private message once you are established with 10+ posts.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:05 am 
Platinum Member

Please delete this box.

Last edited by G4Lab on Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:09 am 
Platinum Member

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=&_ ... c=50&rt=nc

Here is what there is to work with on ebay. You have to find one that has an EOS mount for the camera and an eyetube diameter for your scope which is likely 30mm but measure it. The last piece of the puzzle is the mag. 2x would be a good one. With no lens in the thing it would be "1x" which also would work.

You could also mount the camera on a tripod or better a copy stand and have its lens locked at infinity and very carefully and accurately point it into either the ocular with the 10-15x ocular in place or removed. You could do the same with the camera lens removed (called afocal technique.) You set the Gemmasta perfectly vertically and adjust the stand and camera for careful alignment. You might have to focus by moving the gem. Use the HD output(view on a video screen) and focus indicator if your camera has it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-1-MP-USB-MICR ... 3a695d8ce9
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-MP-USB-CMOS- ... 83wt_1162'

http://www.ebay.com/sch/imaging_apparat ... 7675.l2562

If you intend to keep the same scope and shoot through the eyepiece I prefer one of the above to a DSLR. Buy the equivalent from Motic if you can but the above vendor offers a 14 day return privilege and has good feedback.

That is about all I can think of for this situation.