Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Camera Question
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:54 am 
Valued Contributor

Hi everyone,

I have read the posts on macro lens, and what cameras to get etc over the last couple months. I am thinking of bidding on this setup but wanted some feedback. It is only 6.1 mp which I am wondering if that will effect the image quality?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-D70s-Package- ... 45f56f96aa

Has a Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 Macro Super for Nikon Lens which would work pretty well for gems I am guessing as well. From everything I have read on here this seems like a good setup for gemstones but I know there are some photography experts on here who can give me some feedback. I also know the lighting is the other important aspect which I am also working on right now.

Post subject: Re: Camera Question
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:53 am 
Gold Member

Hi Jim

Unless you are planning on making prints larger than 8X10 6.1 megapixels is more than enough to do the job. Also Nikon is the gold standard in camera equipment. The only one better (this is open to argument and some will argue the point) is a Hasselblad.

Good luck in getting the camera :)
wolf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:05 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

My last dSLR was the same model. The D70s took great pics and that lens should do great (I had the 200mm with mine).
If the condition is good it's a great choice for a real bang for your buck camera.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:04 pm 
Valued Contributor

Looks like a heck of a deal. Does is come with the cat? :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:19 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Actually, 6.1MP can produce billboard sized prints, have done so with a measely Canon 300D Rebel, hehe. Only takes 3MP to make an 8x10" nicely. For web posting there is also plenty of room for cropping with 6.1MP. Any difference in IQ between it and a newer camera will have little to nothing to do with MPs, MP's are nothing but a selling factor anymore unless you are doing 16x20 prints and up, and even then the results are negligible until you get up to a full frame or medium format.

I won't even touch the "best camera" brand right now, leads to too many arguments, lol. But to be honest, they are all about the same, some just give you more features for your money, but as far as output, especially for internet viewing, one is not going to tell the difference between a dSLR and most higher end P&S cameras more or less between actual cameras! Even in print up to 8x10" sitting in front of you, it can be next to impossible to tell which was done with a $5K camera body + $3K lens and which one was done with a $300 all-in-one! ;) The only time the game even really changes is when you switch sensors to like the FoveonX3, and that is ONLY because of the sensor technology difference and nothing to do with the camera. Just about all other cameras use a Bayer sensor and are not real different in IQ at base ISOs. But just about any Nikon, Pentax, Sigma, Canon, Sony camera(only leaving out Olympus due to IQ being a bit less due to the 4/3rds sensor technology, but for internet viewing one won't see a difference with them either) will do the same job, just some give more bang for your buck then others. I've shot them all and currently own many of them still, lol.

That lens, in macro mode, does a 1:2 macro, meaning half life size, on the frame. It is decent, but hand held needs good light. On a tripod it can do amazingly well for the cheap price tag it carries. Its only major issue is CA in the form of fringing on high contrast areas, but easily fixed in editing. I have much more expensive and better lenses, but still purchased one of these for my Sigma simply due to their awesome flexibility and compact size. But eventually you may outgrow it for macros. A 25mm Kenko extension tube works nicely with it for more magnification. Some samples:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/digitaldev ... 220521644/

Some macro samples, excuse half arsed composition and such, just quick and dirty shots:
http://www.pbase.com/digitaldevo/image/110420012
http://www.pbase.com/digitaldevo/image/110420010

I would NOT go much above $350-$400 or so for the setup though. Lens can be had new for like ~$150 and one can buy and brand new Pentax K-x + 18-55mm kit lens for around $600 or so and it is a far better camera then the D70s. Class leading high ISO low light image quality currently.

But the setup should get you started and keep you busy for a while. Your technique and lighting is FAR MORE important then the camera, be it P&S or dSLR, honestly! Heck, I often just use a P&S Panasonic FZ8K + Raynox for most of my internet shots, lol. dSLR is actually too much work unless doing higher end stuff or stuff for print, lol. Once you get technique and lighting down you could use a cell phone/web cam + loupe to get a decent shot, lol, seriously! I've actually won competitions and awards for images shot with an automatic P&S as well as all manual(not even ANY electronic components, lmao) film cameras in excess of 50yrs old!

For lighting you want as close to full spectrum as possible but don't be fooled by supposed full spectrum bulbs that really are not. One can not even go by CRI's any longer, sadly. Ott-Lite CFL HD bulbs are your cheapest and best bet. If you want to spend more Solux bulbs work excellent as well but are about 3x as much. One of the main keys to lighting is to make sure it is nicely diffused. A good circular polarizer is nice as well to cut away undesired glares. But be careful as many of the cheaper filters will alter colors.

The other key is taking a custom and accurate white balance! I can not stress this one enough!

You also need to make sure to get your exposures right as well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:47 pm 
Valued Contributor

So I have been bidding left and right and decided to take a chance and buy a USB camera that Wayne Emery talks about a lot. Turns out this thing is pretty good. I can even do pictures of inclusions now which is nice. Next step will be to make a gemstone and diamond holder as well as some better lighting! Thanks for all the help everyone.