January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Buying Gem rough vs Finished stones online(Ebay etc.)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:20 pm 
Established Member

Hi Guys

I'm very new to gems, and am starting lapidary as a hobby.
Now I've bought some rough gems from online retailers mentioned on this forum, and I'm very happy with my purchases.

So I had a look on Ebay and found that there are a lot of already cut gems much larger than the rough I bought, costing 30% of the price I paid for rough. I can't find any rough even close to the prices these guys are asking for already cut gems. (Eg Brazilian Citrine VVS 24.3cts for $23)
And they are certified. (I only mention the certified bit, because someone had to pay for the cert?)
Even if you buy a parcel of rough you won't get near the prices that these guys are asking for finished gems.

How does one compete with that, and how is that even possible? Even if you aren't doing this as a hobby, I see no way that one could make any money. (I was at least expecting to be able to break even for equipment and rough in the long run). Does a custom cut add that much more value?

I don't know enough about gems to go buy them at mines or on side streets and what not. Is that how you're supposed to do it?

Post subject: Re: Buying Gem rough vs Finished stones online(Ebay etc.)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:51 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

What are you thinking?
Don't you believe that some-one, selling gems on Ebay would print their own certificates?
23 cts for $1/ct, cut stone with certificate, come on my friend, can't you smell the fish oil?
Barry.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:58 am 
Established Member

:D

Like I said, I brand new at this.

I was looking for something to use as training rough when I came upon those prices, and it shocked me a bit.

I'm still happy to have started a new and very facet-nating hobby!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:12 am 
Valued Contributor

Airscape,

You cannot compete with those prices, neither do you have to. They are serving a different type of market.

Just stay with low end rough to begin with. Besides actually faceting a stone your goals are also to identify problems that may occur within the stone and orientation for colour and yield, as well as stone which will have no value once cut(dark garnets, dark closed c tourmaline etc). It takes a bit of time to gain confidence. Check out THE GEMOLOGY PROJECT on the left for tips and tools.

If I get hold of a bunch of rough, I may cut a few stones for my display box just for fun. Then put the word out that this is what you have, sometimes a visit to the prospective clients will be necessary so that they can see what you have. After that you may get requests for specific shapes in that material, the reason that I only scratch the surface of a parcel, it's a big waste to try and turn a square into an oval.

I personally have never bought off e-bay, I have seen a number of stones that other people have bought, most turn out to be synthetics and simulants, other people on the forum have had some success.

Depending on your location, rough buying at mines and side streets can be an option, If you have to do long travel you have to factor in many expenses, transport, accommodation and budget, target gem species and an idea of pricing. Often the mentioned expenses will make it a very expensive approach to sourcing rough.

Good luck,
Sean.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:11 pm 
Established Member

Thanks Sean!