January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Rock Buddy or Mentor wanted
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:13 am 
Established Member

Hi. I am looking to find someone to learn from. I am in Thailand for 5months and live in AZ the rest of the time. Is pretty lonely rock wise here in Pattaya. I joined the lapidary club in sun city. I was grinding cabochons and someone said come back from Thailand with some rocks. It turns out I am living in one of the gem capitols of the world, half the year. I am taking the GIA intro to colored gems, it is pretty interesting. There must be some gem people flowing through thailand so if anyone is willing to answer some silly questions please get in touch. I plan to travel to bangkok, chanthaburi. And another northern gem market just to poke around. Anyone interest in meeting or having suggestions fire away. Gerry

Post subject: Re: Rock Buddy or Mentor wanted
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:19 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Hi Gerry, hate to tell you, but I think you are on your own!
Anybody travelling, and buying in Thailand, is going to be pretty suspicious of somebody, "just wanting to tag along."
Think about the implications.
Silom Rd, in Bangkok, is a centre of gem dealing. Go there, watch, listen, and only spend what you can afford to lose.
Have a great time, but beware, with little knowledge, you are the proverbial lamb.
Barry.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:01 am 
Established Member

I guess I new that. I am going to buy some gems and rocks for my Gem education and if I will spend 1500-5000 on education I can buy a few stones to use in learning how to use the equipment. Also since thailand is a very large dental and medical tourist destination I am still hoping to get lucky. Not counting on much except learning about something pretty interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:05 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Tndiehard wrote:
I guess I new that. I am going to buy some gems and rocks for my Gem education and if I will spend 1500-5000 on education I can buy a few stones to use in learning how to use the equipment. Also since thailand is a very large dental and medical tourist destination I am still hoping to get lucky. Not counting on much except learning about something pretty interesting.

Barry has good advise my friend, when you get back to the states, im a hop skip and jump from you in vegas. my advise is to buy ONLY slightly included stones with terminated edges. research the typical inclusions for what gemstone your looking for. This will save you alot of heart ach and money, you should be able to tell the fakes this way with just a loupe. Please what ever you do, donot flash cash on the street! and i would suggest going with someone you are friendly with. good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:15 am 
Established Member

We'll I am in Pattaya. I decided as long as I don't buy. I am going to Chanthaburi for a week or so just looking around. Just watching the market should be interesting. If I spend a week in cb a couple of times a trip might prove helpful in the long run. If it really makes sense I could stay in cb probably cheaper than Pattaya. Thanks Gerry