January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: I'm thinking of getting certified w/ IGI,a good move or not?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:26 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hi folks, so, I am totally new to the world of gemology, to be honest as it stands right now I couldn't tell the difference between a ruby and a sapphire or a diamond or a dud :? I'm not in the US, I'm in Ireland and was thinking of a two week Polished Diamond Grader course with IGI in Belgium or a Polished Diamond Grading course and a Coloured Stones course with IGI in India. However I am wondering, within two weeks (80 hrs) can someone really reach a level where they can identify, grade and price diamonds adequately?

On certification I would be thinking of setting up a small business here in Ireland but I'm a little worried that an 80 hour course may not have prepared me enough to actually deliver a trusted service to people? Can people really go into business after a two week course? Can you really be a competent, legitimate Polished Diamond Grader after two weeks training? What do you think? Also, in comparision to say GIA or others, how does training/certification from IGI rate? IGI's prices for training are comparatively reasonable that's essentially why I would be choosing IGI. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: I'm thinking of getting certified w/ IGI,a good move or
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:04 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Let me be first to pop your "bubble", there will be lots more to follow, I'm sure.
If it was april 1, I would asume it was an april fools joke, but that's obviously not so.
80 hours of training is barely adequate to define the different types of coloured gems, let alone grade them, and assess values. And diamonds, man you are looking at needing some serious training, not a "cornflakes diploma" from some Asian country.
It's a bit like taking one driving lesson, and deciding to go out on the highway, driving a truck!
You are stepping into the lions den, with not even a whip and chair in your hand.
Barry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:18 am 

For the record, the way we do driving lessons here is basically that. You go through the first course which has no practical element and just covers road law, and then they put you into a car with a "student driver" sign on top and an instructor in the passenger seat and have you drive around. In my case that included the highway on the first lesson.

But Barry is of course correct. You'll really want to get some in depth practical experience before you start that kind of business.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:25 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Yes Scaro, it's not much different here with driving lessons, and it really shows in our accident statistics for under 25's.
Drive careful, Barry.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:35 am 
Site Admin

ok, do you, any of you ever had a look at the IGI course notes? if the answer is yes, please elaborate more your thoughts, if it's NO, please i would strongly suggest our members to refrain commenting something without having a direct experience about it.
there is nothing less than what you need inside those diamond courses, no rings and bells, only what you need. I can say that having access to ALL course notes from ALL the major gemological schools........so, those courses are essentially practical courses but, again, they teach you what you need, only, and, btw, IGI is the only one i know which provides for a diamond rough course. All the IGI courses were submitted to the Accredited Gemologists Association (AGA) not more than few months ago and IGI graduates are now cleared to became AGA members.....

ciao
alberto

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:56 am 

Alberto, no disrespect for the IGI was intended from me. I think it's probably safe to say that even with an excellent 2-week course one would still want some additional experience before assuming the risk of starting one's own business, especially one where you're dealing with other people's expensive items.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:04 am 
Site Admin

that's not different from GIA distance education diamond course, one week of lab class ONLY is required in order to fulfill the practical requirements...........experience is NEVER enough and ALL the gemmo courses are starting points ONLY no matter which organization logo you have on that fancy piece of paper hanging on the wall...............IMHO..

ciao
alberto

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:41 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Alberto, you got me, so I'll go to the naughty boys corner, and say sorry for mentioning "cornflakes".
Seriously though, you are right, and I should be more careful of my comments.
It is always an eye-opener, to see what some would consider adequate training, before considering a business venture, in subjects almost completely unknown.
Our world is full of the bones of gem buyers, dealers, appraisers, and especially miners, who just fell by the wayside, and moved their lives in a different direction.
To our new Irish friend, go for it, study, study, study, do every course you can afford, build up a relationship with jewellers, gem cutters, diamond graders, and collectors.
Make this a longer term plan, similar to a university course, and become sought after for your knowledge.
Then, you have a business.
Barry.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:01 pm 
Site Admin

Spoiler Alert.
Opening a gem/ jewelry business takes as much, perhaps more, business acumen than gemological training. It is a multi-disciplinary task.
Analogy:
Opening and maintaining a successful restaurant requires a lot more than being able to cook.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:53 am 
Site Admin

Scaro and Barry, noprob, in many cases people tend to give to gem courses more importance than what they have. Truth to be said, despite there are some differences about how much in depth some sections are covered, gemmo courses contains almost all the same stuffs......(and while gemology has really changed in last years, i really don't see a REAL update in course notes....end of rant)........and i really see no reason why some of them are often trashed by default cos they last less time only....................
BTW, Barbra is pefectly spot on..... 8) 8) 8) =D> =D> =D>

ciao
albé

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:36 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Thanks for the information, folks. Apologies for not having been able to post a reply until now, terrible, terrible pain in upper back, right shoulder and right arm at present, following physio for mild scoliosis/lower back pain a couple of weeks ago. Popping pills like crazy, on morphine patches and still in pain, so I am sorry I didn't get around to replying earlier, it wasn't a snub or anything - even typing now causes pain. Thanks anyway.