January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Question about mounting small diamonds (pic)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:47 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

I recently found my class ring, and realized it's missing the crest that was mounted to the stone. I don't want to replace the crest, and have been thinking about some other ideas. My initial thought was to replace the stone, but other than the 2 holes drilled in it, it's otherwise fine. The holes appear to be exactly 1mm wide and a few mm deep. After searching around the internet, I realized I could get a couple diamonds of this size for pretty cheap.

How difficult would it be to mount the diamonds in these holes? I'd do it myself if it was within the range of a novice, but if not, what would I expect a jeweler to charge me to do this? I imagine they wouldn't be thrilled w/ the idea of me bringing in my own diamonds, but they'd definitely charge me a lot more for them.

The main stone is synthetic, and I wouldn't mind too much if I had CZ's put in. But since diamonds of this size are so inexpensive, I'd prefer them, as it would be a nice complement to the 10k gold.

Attachments:
front.jpg
front.jpg [ 105.3 KiB | Viewed 1356 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Question about mounting small diamonds (pic)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:38 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

I think you are probably going to have to spend a silly amount to get a jeweller to do what you want.
It really is a major remake, to set diamonds into those holes.
Stick the diamonds in with super-glue, and keep the ring away from hot water.
Barry.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:44 am 
Gold Member

A simple tube setting would work. Any competent jeweler could do it. Just ask them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:27 pm 

Thanks for the replies. I figured a jeweler would charge me an exorbitant amount, after pricing replacement stones. The main stone has obscure dimensions and would cost me well over a hundred if I wanted to change it. I'm not looking to spend that kind of money though.

After searching around, I see I can get a couple decent 1mm diamonds for $10-15. I'm just not sure how well they'd fit. If I could get some that fit nice and snug in the holes, I would totally attempt it myself w/ some superglue. But I feel like it's probably not that simple. If the holes are exactly 1mm, what size diamond should I be looking for? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

Certainly you could glue them in, but is that the right way to secure diamonds in the ring?
#-o NO.
They should be tube set and riveted from behind.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:03 pm 

As much as I enjoy DIY projects, you're right Barbara. What can I expect to pay to have something like this done though, if I brought my own diamonds in to a jeweler? The other scenario I'm wondering about, is if I asked a jeweler to put some CZ's in it. Would that be just as expensive, as far as the work is concerned? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:30 pm 
Gold Member

j3illy wrote:
As much as I enjoy DIY projects, you're right Barbara. What can I expect to pay to have something like this done though, if I brought my own diamonds in to a jeweler?

It all depends on what type of metal is used for the setting. Here are the tube settings which Stuller sells pre-made. http://www.stuller.com/browse/findings/trim-and-tops/trim/tube-trim/?page=1&facetValues%5B0%5D.Second=2%7C104%7C14010%7C14058*&facetValues%5B0%5D.First=cat The square white gold one would retail for around $30 to $50 each and hold a 1 point diamond or other gem.

Quote:
The other scenario I'm wondering about, is if I asked a jeweler to put some CZ's in it. Would that be just as expensive, as far as the work is concerned? Thanks.

Yes, maybe more since small cz's are more easily chipped during setting. The labor to do this is the same and would probably run around $20-30 per stone regardless of what type of stone was installed. If you have diamonds of the correct size I would suggest using them, as small cz's have low durability and don't look very nice over time.

Another thought is that if you are price sensitive, you should always ask the jeweler what they would suggest in order to get the best deal. Often they will make you a deal on the whole job,(meaning labor AND materials), since most jewelers will have small inventories of diamond melee which have been pulled from scrapped rings which they may offer to use as opposed to setting cz's, (which are typically seen as an unattractive bit of work).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:55 pm 

Thanks for the info michael. I wanted to have a ballpark idea before I go in person to some jewelers, which would be my best bet to have diamonds mounted right. The 1st idea I had when I found the ring was to put a new stone in, and I was looking at some Blue Topaz. There were nice stones similarly sized to mine for less than $50, but nothing exact. Mine is 15mm x 7.5mm, but quite shallow at only 2-3mm deep. So I'd have to have something cut which I'm sure is pricey. I emailed Balfour who made the ring, and they don't sell any spare stones or crests. They'll only have you send it in and pay to have it serviced, and I'm not looking to go that route. I'm open to other ideas on what I can do w/ this stone as it is, but the diamond idea is tempting.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:33 pm 

I saw this tube setting that looks really nice, and it's tapered so it would definitely fit nice and snug in the 1mm holes. Now if I were to order a tube setting and a pair of 1mm diamonds, would I be on the right track? I saw a great pair of 1mm VVS diamonds, but I'm not sure about how they would fit in the tube setting. Can anyone give any advice on this? Thanks.

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/14k-gold-ro ... Ogod5HcAwA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:44 pm 
Gold Member

No, what you need is an actual tube long enough to go clear through the stone. This is not a beginners project. Take it to a jeweler.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:08 pm 

I plan on bringing the stuff to a jeweler to mount. But I'd like to get the diamonds myself beforehand, and possibly the settings too. If I bought VVS-VS diamonds + 14k gold settings from a jeweler, I'm sure I'd be charged quite a markup. I'm not looking to spend anything substantial, and I know if I can get the proper stones/settings, I'll be able to find a jeweler to mount them for a reasonable price.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:24 pm 
Gold Member

I agree with allen, this is not a beginners project. That setting is designed to be soldered onto some other metal and would not work for your project. The tube setting that we are talking about uses a tube which passes through the stone and is then peened from the back side in order to hold it in place. You then set the stone on the front side. All of the steps involved require special tools and you just can't do it well without them, (probably end up breaking the existing blue stone if you aren't very careful).

Buying the parts yourself will not save you any money, since most jewelers will just charge more to deal with having to use parts which may not be suitable.

What's the main body of the ring made from? If it's gold or silver you might have a lapidary cut a cab to fit the place where the blue stone is, have a jeweler set it and call it good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:43 pm 

It's solid 10k gold, and doesn't look like a typical class ring. Here's a side view of it. I see what you guys are saying though. It's just tempting when I see I can buy nice quality diamonds for less than $20 since they're so tiny. I haven't made any decisions yet, but I'm really not looking to spend more than $50 total to fix it up.

Attachments:
side.jpg
side.jpg [ 46.75 KiB | Viewed 1250 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

The mountings and the diamonds are of little monetary consequence.
The labor is what is going to cost. Rightfully so.
They jeweler is the one with the skill to get the job done.

If you are seriously that short on money, perhaps you should not be spending funds on jewelry repair at this time. It's far from a necessity.

On the other hand, the jeweler has many necessities which must be paid for in order to keep the business open and profitable. Staff, insurance, medical, dental, optical, tools, merchandise, taxes, property upkeep......which just accounts for the tip of the jeweler's financial iceberg.