Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: International Gem Society Professional Certification
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:26 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hello,
My name is John and I am a new member. I am interested in gemology as a hobby and maybe as a second career after my retirement. During the past couple of months I have been studying the basics of gemology by reading a couple of books on the subject and reading several online text. Also I have set up a basic lab for identifying gemstones.

I am also interested in obtaining a basic certification. I think that studying for a certification would be a great way to learn more about gemology in a more structured study program. However at this point, I do not want to invest a large sum of money in a certification. I have found a program offered by the International Gem Society at a cost of $350.00. The program is 100 percent online provides study in basic and advanced gemology and practical gemology. To complete the certification requires passing a 100 question written exam with a score of 87% and then identifying 10 unknown gemstones. After passing, you will be given a IGS certification as a professional gemologist. Given the cost and the convenience of online study this program seem to be a good opportunity.

I would like to hear from other students who have enrolled or have completed this program.

Post subject: Re: International Gem Society Professional Certification
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:04 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Hi JD, I can't believe no-one else has answered your question, yet.
Maybe they are all still laughing so much at the thought of answering 100 questions on-line, and becoming a Gemologist, that they can't get to the keyboard.
"Rubys are red
Sapphires are blue,
come in sucker,
bring your money too!"
Barry.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

John this is a well discussed subject...a few moments to do a search for IGS or a search for education will give you many results

Personally I think if you want an education then you should sign up for one of the better known schools like Gem-A or GIA both of which are available online as distance learning.

If it's just for your own satisfaction that you want to learn then follow the links on the right and try out Barbara Smigals free course.

If it's a career you are after then you need to attend a proper school

Just my 2 cents worth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:28 pm 

Frank,

Thank you for the reply. I am doing a word search on IGS certifications to find other comments on this topic. Your advice on attending GIA and GEM A distance learning programs is definitely good advice for those who are pursuing professional level certifications that are recognized by the Gem industry. Currently my interest in gemology is strictly hobby related. My interest in this subject was triggered by watching the Liquidation Channel and seeing them selling rubies, sapphires, topaz, and other gems at extremely low prices. Being an accountant I was very skeptical about the validity of their claims. So I started researching the subject about identifying fake gems. During my research I found myself becoming very interested in gemology. Maybe doing this research tap into my childhood rock collecting hobby and my passion for science.

I realize that I have a lot to learn to make my hobby more fulfilling, and I been doing a lot of self study. But I was thinking that having a more STRUCTURE study program with a specific goal of achieving a basic certificate documenting my achievement would be better than strictly doing self study. Since this is a hobby and not a career, I prefer not to spend a lot of money. The ONLINE GIA study cost over $7,000.00 plus travel and lodging for the lab courses. This cost is very reasonable when compared to tuition of many universities. If do decide to pursue gemology as a second career, I would definitely invest in the Graduate gemologist certification offered by GIA,

I came across the IGS website. The website is pretty good source of information. They do offer a online study plan leading to "professional gemologist" certification. The cost is $350.00 which seems very reasonable. However I am not sure how widely accepted that this certification or if its even recognized by the jewelry industry. My idea is to use this certification as a starting point for my advancement in the gemology field. And if later I decide to pursue a career, then attend the GIA certification.

Before spending my money and time, I am doing due diligence about the validity of the IGS program.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:48 pm 
Site Admin

With all due respect, have you reviewed our informational sources, which are free?
http://www.gemologyproject.com/wiki/ind ... title=Home
http://www.bwsmigel.info/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:25 pm 

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
With all due respect, have you reviewed our informational sources, which are free?
http://www.gemologyproject.com/wiki/ind ... title=Home
http://www.bwsmigel.info/

Yes I have and I am currently studying the gemology project. I just finish reading the section about using the polarscope. I have put into practice the techniques describe. However, I found the techniques for using the conoscope to be confusing and complex.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:46 pm 
Site Admin

Have you watched this tutorial by Starla Turner?
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=15491

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:52 am 

yes I have view her tutorials. very helpful information. I decided to enroll in the Accredited Jewelry Professional course given by the GIA. I think that this is the best first step for beginning my education and training. My first course is Jewelry essentials starting on 02-24-14. Really looking forward to starting. Thank you for all your suggestions and advice.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

Excellent decision.
Let us know how you like it.

Also, I understand the Gem-A course through JTV is a good foundation.
http://www.jtv.com/gem-a_landing_page.html

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:42 am 

I am almost finished with Jewelry essentials course, have one more assignment to finish before taking the final exam and completing the course. There two more courses to complete before earning the AJP certificate, diamond essentials and colored gem essentials. The Jewelry essentials course has been interesting its focus is on styles of jewelry, watches, and sales techniques. There is very little gemological content. The next two courses may have more gemological content. Looking for to finishing and earning my certificate and then progressing to the next level.