Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: GIA Graduate Diamonds questions
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:06 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this community so first off, it's good to join you all here and in advance, nice to meet you all.

So I have a few questions that I would like some of you experienced peeps here to help me out with.

Next week i'm starting my Graduate Diamonds course at GIA Carlsbad and I could say i'm equally as excited as I am nervous/anxious.

A little background.

I'm 21 and I've been on/off education for about 4 years and finally left my University here in Egypt because I feel like I was not getting the kind of education I wanted. My family owns a Jewelry store here and I was never interested in working in "Jewelry" until last year when I finally decided I would like to pursue a career becoming a Diamond trader and having my store as back up, so I enrolled in GIA's Graduate Diamonds program.

My question is was this a good move considering I have no experience with Diamonds at all, I'm afraid that if I go to GIA that there's this base knowledge I should know, which I don't. I'm afraid that I might not understand some of the material covered, am I right? Or do they cover this from a fresh perspective? I'm open to learning new things and i generally absorb well, i'm just afraid that I don't know anything about this, you know?

I found that I have a beautiful opportunity to trade Diamonds within our network but i'm afraid that I rushed the learning aspect of this and jumped in too deep too fast. Do I have reason to worry? I think i'm an average grade student, when I dedicate time to things I like I like to educate myself to the fullest but I feel like it might be too much to take in especially as I don't know anything about Diamonds.

I have a lot of other questions concerning this area of business i'd like to discuss with someone apart from my parents and co-workers so I can get a more biased point of view so I might ask more here, if you want to help out, keep tuned :)

Also, am I going to be meeting any of you in GIA Carlsbad next week? :)

Thanks

-Eric

Post subject: Re: GIA Graduate Diamonds questions
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:18 am 

Hi Eric, or rather Merhaba!

I think you might be overthinking and worrying about nothing on this. You've signed up for a course whose purpose is to teach you about diamonds, and I think you'll find many of your classmates are at the same starting point as you are.

It's not a bad thing to go in with a blank slate, sometimes it just means you don't have to "unlearn" wrong information.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:23 am 
Site Admin

Agreed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:33 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Thank you Julie and Barbra for the reassurance :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

My pleasure. The GIA course material and style of presenting it has greatly evolved over the decades. One can take a topic as far as they'd like, or leave it simple.

Not to mention, oops I'm mentioning it, the GIA wrote the book on diamond grading. Therefore, you are in the right place to pursue a career in the Diamond Business which will be internationally respected. :D