January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Lab-grown Azurite?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:54 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Occasionally I see large gems or even cabs cut from azurite, but I know that even modest size natural crystals of azurite are fairly rare. Are the ones I'm seeing mostly natural crystals, or is there a lab-grown azurite? I've not been able to find any such thing in an extended internet search. Thanks for your help!

TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:15 am 
Platinum Member

Hi TC,
Not all azurite occurrences are crystalline. It also forms in masses or vein fillings, often in association with malachite. The image shows a large contour-cut azurite/malachite cab I cut recently from massive natural material from the Copper World Mine in California. Fine quality azurite/malachite is also produced from the copper mines of Arizona and elsewhere.

There is also a man-made product loosely known as "German Block" because it's formed in loaf-like blocks. Anyone familiar with natural material should be able to sight-I.D. the difference but it fools lots of people. So do the "turquoise," "lapis" and other simulants made the same way. On a cruise to Puerto Vallarta a few years ago I noticed that much of the silver jewelry offered by shoreside ventors featured German Block "stones."

www.artcutgems.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:10 pm 

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the clarification! Where can I learn more about German block, so that I can avoid them myself? And is that the only kind of azurite replacement, no one grows crystals of it they the way they do rubies, etc? Thanks!

TC

Post subject: Re: Lab-grown Azurite?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:50 pm 

Interesting question for me, living in Morocco, looking for good specimens of minerals among which azurites and being quite aware of the methods they are using in Fez to simulate native silver on matrices, which does reach very higher prices. Difficult to discriminate the authentic from the fake, no glue used to attach the silver to these supposed matrices but fine work on the latter to insert the silver there and high tech processes of smelting to obtain the filaments of silver with their complicate forms. I am referring to specimens of the form of that of the attached photo ("Silver Medusa" From Freiberg, Freiberg District, Erzgebirge, Saxony, Germany. Measures 8 cm by 6.6 cm in size. Ex. Kevin Ward Collection)

Attachments:
DEN2007-8freibergsilver.jpg
DEN2007-8freibergsilver.jpg [ 61.62 KiB | Viewed 1287 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:18 am 
Valued Contributor

Dear Rick,

sorry, I never heard about "German Block" till now.
Do you mean reconstructed, finely ground, epoxy glued Azurite-Malachite?
According to CIBJO = "reconstruced stones"?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:27 am 
Valued Contributor

Once more again - I've a question too .... and sorry for to disturb TC's posting.

I think, this stone is reconstructed, isn't it?

Attachment:
Azurit-Malachit rek. Broschstein 40x30mm H 5mm ca 63ct.JPG
Azurit-Malachit rek. Broschstein 40x30mm H 5mm ca 63ct.JPG [ 83.76 KiB | Viewed 1296 times ]

Azurite-Malachite (rec.?) Broochstone 40x30mm H 5mm approx. 63ct

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:40 am 
Platinum Member

Steinfroilein, exactly -- the block material was reconstructed. I don't know how it got that name except it was manufactured by a man of German extraction in Bangkok.

But I've seen similar material several times in Tucson and got the impression some was made right here in the U.S. Digging into my memory I seem to recall several different makers, some of whom may still offer that product. I recall it popped up everywhere in jewelry hawked by numerous beach sellers when I took a cruise to Mexico several years ago.

I can't ID your cab for certain -- it looks like natural azure-malachite in your image but the hucksters' techniques are always improving.

www.artcutgems.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:58 am 
Valued Contributor

@Rick: My stone is a very old one. I found it in an old yellowed cachet (stone paper) dated 1975 in the cellar.
I want to take it to a Mineral Fair (Bretten Germany 15th of November) but I'm not sure of reconstructed so I'm not sure of pricing....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:52 am 
Valued Contributor

Refering to surham's post (that I could read only just at this time) the origin is native wire silver.

Calcium copper silicate occurs to me, maybe some of you knows it as Egyptian blue, a pigment used for thousand of years in the past. This is synthetic too.