January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Gem LED lights for illuminating the stones?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:03 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hello I am launching a small business and will cut to the chase. I was in a swarovski crystal store and they had LED lights that were adjustable to be angled towards each piece. I want something similar to this. I am pretty good with crafts and can make a black velvet background box if this would be the most attractive (similar to the ring holders places sell).

I am looking for the LED lights cheap and easy. I found cheap online but it had two wires coming out of it and I was scratching my head not knowing what I would hook those up to. Looking for a plug and go or a really easy setup. I can solder or crimp if necessary. If you are a shill go ahead and reply but please cheap and easy I won't be buying the lexus of LED's.

Post subject: Re: Gem LED lights for illuminating the stones?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:54 pm 
Valued Contributor

Greetings and welcome,

LED's can be purchased online at DigiKey. I have purchased from them before and I trust their product quality. Not everything cheep online is worth the cheepness.

A note on LED's. The 2 wires on them is for power and ground. They are polarity sensitive (which means only one of the wires can be connected to power and not the other, it wont work or will burn up) and just hooking it up to a battery or power supply will most likely burn them out. You need a current limiting resistor on one of the wires so that it does not burn up. You need the right size of resister to work with whatever power source you use. It also depends on how many LED's you are connecting together.

It might be easier in the long run for you to buy pre-wired LED lamps that have the resisters built in and all you have to do is plug it in. They can be relitively inexpensive.