January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: To Know or Not
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:44 pm 
Established Member

I have looked around on your board and could not determine where to ask my question. So I will ask it here and maybe you can direct me to where I need to go.

It falls in the geology sector. I live in North Carolina. From what I hear there have been 13 diamonds discovered here. From what I also understand, diamonds (rough) are found around volcanoes. I am seeking the locations of these ancient volcanoes here in the state but I have reached dead ends in my research. I have concluded it is because of my lack of knowledge and don't know what direction to go to find out.

I am asking you because I couldn't help but notice that you are also a geologist. 8) Also because it is who you know if you don't know. But who you know may know the answers one seeks.

I know it is not a gem question and I was reluctant to ask it because it is not a gem question. I also find myself having a difficult time of keeping gemology and geology as separate from each other. :? #-o

Any advise would be appreciated. I hope this question is not out of line.

Post subject: Re: To Know or Not
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:39 pm 
Gold Member

Diamonds have only been found associated with kimberlite and lamproite pipes which are a very special type of volcano, (for one they have no magma chamber). Do a search on these two things and you'll get more information than you can digest in a year or two. When looking for diamond pipes it helps to look for other associated minerals. Take a look at this article for a very short history of the discovery of diamonds pipes in northern Canada: http://www.wired.com/science/planetearth/magazine/16-12/ff_diamonds?currentPage=all

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:10 am 
Valued Contributor

That I know of, the only naturally forming diamond mine in the USA is in Arkansas at Crater of Diamonds state park.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:18 am 
Gold Member

Turkinolith wrote:
That I know of, the only naturally forming diamond mine in the USA is in Arkansas at Crater of Diamonds state park.

Crater of Diamonds is the only active mine, but there are kimberlite pipes in Colorado and Wyoming, at least. Some diamonds have been found in the US that are thought to have been brought by the glaciers.

Diamonds have been found in NC, but the origin is unknown.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:35 am 
Platinum Member

Just some more U.S. diamond trivia:

Diamonds have been found in every U.S. state. They seem to be most abundant in the north, especially the Great Lakes region, where they're assumed to have been deposited by glaciers.

A large diamond was found a few years ago near Billings, Montana by a woman out for her morning jog. She picked a white stone up from the dirt road and joked with her friends that she'd found a diamond. She was later astonished to discover she had.

The origin of most U.S. diamonds is shrouded in mystery. Most have been found in alluvial, not primary, deposits. Experts assume the original kimberlite or lamproite pipes eroded and vanished long ago, leaving only tantalizing evidence that they once existed.

California has produced quite a few diamonds, mostly from gold placers. Many finds date to the 1849 gold rush. There's an interesting little book by Mary Hill, "Hunting Diamonds in California" that documents many of the occurrences.

As for N.C. diamonds, the state's Geological Survey reports that "Recent NCGS research on lamproites in the Charlotte area may provide clues to the source of these diamonds and for diamond prospecting in other areas of the Piedmont." If you're serious about N.C. diamond prospecting you should probably head to the nearest NCGS office to learn about that research.

www.artcutgems.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:21 pm 
Established Member

Thanks for all the replies! :D

I live here in NC so I am planning on prospecting here. I did talk to one fellow and he claimed to know of where one of these ancient volcanoes was located. Private land. Everything here in the state seems to be private. Which I respect, but makes it difficult for a weekend rock warrior to explore. Again it is who you know and not what you know.

Thanks again as the mystery is still unsolved. Maybe Barbara could suggest something. She is the one I was referring to as far as being a geologist and it was my bad for not addressing this question to her. It was my intention to do so but I got caught up in my own head. :shock:

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:17 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Gemseeker, sorry I'm late to the party, but I just recently found this site and am working my way thru it. Quite a task!

I know of 2 kimberlite pipes in NC, but they fall within the boundaries of the Great Smoky Mtns National Park. I do not know if they have yielded any diamonds however. If you look at geologic maps of the Park that precede the early to mid 1970's, you will see those kimberlite intrusions marked. However, someone got smart (paranoid?) about then and those formations are missing from every subsequent geologic map of the park that I have seen. I got my MS in geology at UT-Knoxville in the 70's and that's where I saw the maps (I never visited the formations themselves).

I know this doesn't do you much good, except to confirm that there is indeed kimberlite in NC. As a side note, there is a Kimberlite pipe about 30miles north of Knoxville on Norris Lake that has produced very tiny (<1mm) industrial grade diamonds. I Have visited that intrusion and have seen a couple of those diamonds that friends have found there.