January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: a bit overwhelmed
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:36 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Please forgive me if this post is silly; I am simply unsure where to begin in my quest for information. I inherited a large quantity of gemstones from my mother when she passed away. Some were bought individually; many are from lots purchased on a certain large television channel. I imagine they have little to no value- especially to an individual not in the jewelry trade. She also had some tools and books for identifying and sizing stones. Some are identified. Many are not.

I can probably figure that this collection has little to no value, but I don't want to completely assume so without doing some due diligence... the problem is I am naturally hesitant to spend the hundreds of dollars for an appraiser to look through them.

I think gemology is fascinating, but honestly I don't think it's a hobby I will have the energy to learn anytime soon. It seems like a lot to learn! Hard to imagine with a 13 month old at home. But I can't shake the curiosity about what they are (and, of course, if there is anything valuable at all...)

Can anyone in this circle of gem enthusiasts give me any insight? I was thinking of trying to find a gem and rock club, but I have no idea if they'd be interested or bothered with this sort of thing. Maybe it would be best to simply stow the collection away somewhere until I have time to learn about them myself. Or if there is any possibility of selling, I'd consider it. But do I do something with the whole lot? Are there particular stones that might be more worth investigating? Gah.

In fact, a coworker learned I have a black diamond (I think?) and was so excited; she wants to upgrade the black sapphire in her engagement ring and is encouraging me to get the diamond appraised with an interest in buying it from me. The whole thing has me overwhelmed and the bottom line is really just that I don't want to dive into something that could end up being a waste of time or money. I don't know if a black diamond weighing approx 1.25 carats would be worth getting appraised... but I'm not about to agree to sell it if I don't know anything about it. Entering haphazard into an arrangement like that seems a good way to ruin a friendship, lol.

I don't expect you to have an answer for all my vague questions here, and if I am asking in a totally inappropriate forum, I apologize and will bug off :) But any advice on any part would be welcome. I am a beginner's beginner and can't decide if it's something I should even attempt. I know my mom spent a lot of time and money over the years, and it seems wrong not to investigate a little... but obviously I am in waaay over my head.

Many thanks for your patience with me!
Emily

Post subject: Re: a bit overwhelmed
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:06 am 
Gold Member

I am not sure a black diamond would upgrade that much a black sapphire... :-k

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:33 am 
Site Admin

I think there are plenty of folks who would be willing to help you out.
Where do you live?

PS Black diamonds are not very valuable.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:47 pm 

Thanks for the replies. I live in the Portland, Oregon area.

I do know black diamonds are not too valuable at all, but nothing more specific. Apparently it's kind of a fad right now around here. More than one person I know getting them for their wedding sets. She saw it and loved it, so I guess to her it's an upgrade... All that being said, I really have no idea... and I should figure something out. This all pretty much all got started because my coworker wants to buy it, but it doesn't seem wise to get it appraised if it's only worth a very small amount. Nor does it seem wise to sell something without knowing anything about it. But that insight from you guys is helpful. Maybe I should just argue to give it for free. She won't do it though.

Maybe she estimates it worth getting appraised for a value because she is thinking retail prices.

Ah well I shall learn as I go! Thanks again.
Emily

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:28 pm 
Valued Contributor

I'd suggest that, gems being emminently portable and not taking up much space, you hang onto the collection for a while and not rush into anything.

A good local jeweler that you trust would be a great asset, or perhaps a local club will have somebody with the tools and the time to ID them for you.

The internet offers a wealth of info on gem pricing; a bit of research could certainly clear up the stuff that's labelled.

Sad fact that much of the material, if purchased from TV, will be worth a fraction of what was paid, and you'll have to worry about what's been "enhanced" by heat and radiation, and what is mis-named, and what is just outright fraudulently marketed.

I'd imagine that, at the very least, you have a nice supply of Xmas and b-day gifts for all your female friends and family members.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:05 pm 

That is very helpful insight, thanks. I imagine these will just live under my bed for the foreseeable future. My mom got them to identify and make jewelry, but that is not something I will be doing anytime soon at least. There does not seem to be a very easy way to have someone with a trained eye look them over.

The majority did come from TV, and I suspected they are mostly junk. It seems you folks would tend to agree. And if there is anything of any value, it is probably not worth the extensive time required to fish it out. A few things, such as an emerald and some opals etc., were bought in other ways. Plus what was already set in jewelry from jewelry stores.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:04 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hi Gille,
I too live in Portland Oregon.
There are many resources available locally to help identify your stones.
The Columbia-Willamette Faceters’ Guild has meetings on the first Tuesday of each month, usually at the OMSI.

http://www.facetersguild.com/

As a faceter, I have been learning Gemology to enhance my faceting and to help identify facet rough and cut stones.
I am sure you would find the meetings interesting and there are people who could assist in helping you.

There is also the Mount Hood Rock and Gem show that is going on this weekend in Portland.

http://www.mthoodrockclub.com/img.2/flyer2013.pdf

They usually will have very knowledgeable people doing demonstrations of faceting as well as the other Lapidary arts. I have also seen shows locally that had people that were there specifically to help identify lapidary items.

But be very careful if attending any of these functions as Lapidary is very addictive and you could easily end up a "Rockhound".
:mrgreen:

Best Regards

Harold

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:11 pm 

Awesome, thanks Harold! Local resources will be a huge help. I wish I was able to go to that show this weekend! But it will still be really good having that info.

Emily