January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: A few questions from a beginner.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:01 pm 
Valued Contributor

Salutations,

I'm new to the world of gemology, I've found someone I'm interested in and in the effort of finding something for her she might like, I kind of got hooked on the research of gems, simulants and synthetics. I got a bit of a buying buzz from eBay, knowing that a majority of what I bought was synthetic, but got confused when I read 'Chathum Diffused'. Basically from what I understand about Chatham is he's known for Flux synthetics? The diffusion is what confused me, I think a previous topic here mentioned that it would be silly to diffuse a synthetic as creating it outright would enable full stone coloring, but that's beside the current point. Given the confusing nature of the 'treatment', I'm assuming that it might even be a simulant, instead of a synthetic (30 carat pink sapphire for 19 dollars?)

My birthstone is Emerald, so in looking for one for kicks, I found one that claimed to be 2891 carats or ~1.27204 lbs (2891 / 5 / 1000 * 2.2.) It mentions its a carved emerald, which in searching for similar items appears as though they're junk opaque emerald roughs polished down into a basic shape. Best thing I can hope for is a novelty item. Out of all the 'huge 100% natural emerald' I picked the one that I liked the most (this is a composite image from four images off of the eBay auction, so the topic doesn't rely on a vanishing auction link):

Given its relative size, is there a good chance that it's just some died rock from the ground? I realize that I'm far too inexperienced to be buying off of eBay, but at the same time knowing what isn't real is useful, too. I haven't yet received this, so if I may ask, what's the first thing I should do with it to [in]validate its description (other than chuck it out the window)?

Any insight is welcome, if I need to do more research, I'm more than willing to do it, so long as sources can be provided to point me in the right direction. I'm an autodidact, so I learn the best at my own pace, I'd like to say I'd go to school about this, but previous financial mistakes in life have barred me from any further loan/scholarship assistance leaving me to my own devices.

Post subject: Re: A few questions from a beginner.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:19 pm 
Gold Member

paper weight

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:05 am 
Valued Contributor

Tough to tell anything from a picture. Best thing to do is find a local gemo or someone in rock club, University, ect, to take a look at it. Might be a paperweight but it looks pretty cool. I wouldn't worry about diffused or synthetic as that is mostly done to improve and mimic gem quality (clear). There is more of a chance that it is dyed (even if genuine) and filled with some epoxy. This may not be all bad. Then again, it may be something completely different from beryl in the first place which would put it in a different group to be evaluated. Most likely being sold as a decorative item instead of a pendant stone anyhow. Autodidact? First time I have seen that word on this forum. If I had more ambition I would look up what it means :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:54 pm 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

Autodidact: adjective: Someone who is self-taught :D .