January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Do ring quality Norwegian Emeralds really exist?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:43 pm 
Valued Contributor

Sounds excellent, we'll take the rest of the details on pm! :)

-Johannes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:38 am 
Valued Contributor

Chrysos wrote:
Perhaps, if you are really lucky, other people could join inas well. Maybe it's too far to go for Lennie for just a day? :?

I would love to, but my illness makes it impossible...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:41 am 
Valued Contributor

markn wrote:
OK - so here's what I am thinking. I can fly in to Oslo Rygge at 11.20am Sunday 12th August. I can then pick you up in Oslo Chryos - and anyone else - at about 1300. Then drive to Byrud. We would have 3-4 hours at the mines on Sunday. Then we could have all day until the mines close on Monday and then I need to drive back to Rygge south of Oslo for my return flight on Monday evening.

Mark in Santa Cruz, CA

The mines???

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:41 am 
Valued Contributor

Quote:
I would love to, but my illness makes it impossible...

:( :(

Quote:
The mines???

Lennie has a point there :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:03 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hi all - Johannes reporting in. I wanted to share a bit of field report about my and Mark's trip to Byrud farm (near Minnesund, by Mjösa lake) the 12-13th of august, in order to add a bit more detail to the existing internet sources. The story is also told by the 30 photos linked at the end of the post.

This page as well as the mindat profile page might be the most easily accessible sources on the internet so far. They cover most of the minerology and other necessary info.

On arrival, we were told that we were hunting at a truly bad time, with the water levels on the "emerald shores" being unusually high. Nonetheless, we set out to the shore (the stony part of the shore, visible from the other side of the lake in some photos) to outline where to focus the hunt.

The impression I had got during my previous two visits - that the good quality material was mostly located in the smaller sized gravel at the far end of the beach - drove us to go to the far end in order to see if there existed any limit to how far away the emeralds were. More precisely, there is an outhouse almost in the end, with the shore growing thinner beyond it. We could rather quickly confirm that there seemed to be no point in looking (in the small sized gravel, that is) beyond the outhouse, and thus set our focus to the 50m of shore in front of it.

In the search for gem quality crystals, the chances are better to find them without matrix. Actually, although it might appear strange to rock hounds, the best chance of finding the crystals is actually to just sweep the top 1-3cm layer of equally sized, small gravel. The fact that all surface gravel is renewed each year by the waves makes it simply not worth all the dust-cleaning needed if going deeper down (we met several people to spent a whole day digging holes, finding very little compared to if they would have just sweeped the surface).

If you are aiming to find larger crystals in matrix on the other hand, the strategy would be another. Then, you need to go a bit backwards towards the farm, and stop at one of the slopes that contain larger rocks. At a first glance, all stones are of equal, rusty color. However, with a few minutes of training, you start to recognize the white rock in which the emeralds sit, below the rust. Porosity and crystals of purple fluorite in the white matrix increase the chances that there is emerald inside. Breaking the white rocks, perhaps 10-20% contain emerald – at times as much as 1 out of 2 rocks if the previous hints are followed. However, finding crystals of decent colour at these slopes is very rare – I have found one. The small crystals in the beach gravel is a whole other story: here it is possible to find small crystals (rarely gem quality, of course) of fantastic color.

Well, since me and Mark set out to find an emerald for his engagemant ring (a challenging task indeed), we went the gravel path. After an hour, we could happily confirm that we had found tenth of pieces of crystallized emerald. However, a few nicely shaped crystals were amog them, none was really cuttable. After slightly more than an hour, sweeping the very surface, a crystal of unreal clarity surfaced. The little beauty was perfectly terminated and virtually undamaged, and seemed huge after all the barely-visible green grains in the gravel. In the end, it turned out to weight a modest 0.33cts, but with the (for an emerald cut) reasonably high yield, I have no doubts that Mark will be able to extract a wonderful stone for his ring.

Going home, we showed the crystal to the woman at the Byrud farm, to whom you pay 100 norwegian kronor (≈$15-20) each day for the collecting. She also has some wonderful pieces found over the years for display. It’s not hard to imagine all the times collectors have showed her their findings, and that she must have grown pretty used to it. Thus I expected a ”that’s nice”. Instead, we got "did you find that here?"

Tests carried out by Jean-Marie Arlabosse of Geminterest, conducted on some samples that I sent him some years ago, confirm that Mindat (not the first link) is correct in terms of colouring agent: it is vanadium - but with traces of chromium.

The options for staying the night in the area are multiple, and surprisingly convenient:
1.) A camping at the lakeside close to the nearby Minnesund community, 10 min drive from Byrud farm. Certainly not fancy, but with most basic fascilities. Cost I believe is around 300 norwegian kronor (≈$50) a night, but on the positive side is the striking view and the possibility to set up a tent just by the lakeside.
2.) A hotel, most unexpectedly located 10 min drive from the farm, in the shape of a private heart clinic which offer rooms for family and friends. They have no problems with visitors not connected to their patients, as long as they are not full-booked. Common hotel standard with resturants etc. Stayed there once but cannot recall the price, anyway name is ”Feiring-klinikken”.
3.) In Norway and Sweden, there is a tradition usually called ”Every mans’ right”, regulated by law, that allow people to camp one night anywhere as long as it does not disturb other people or animals – no matter if the land is privately owned. This translates to the possibility to set up a tent anywhere in woodland as long as the area isn’t under any special protection. Me and Mark thought we should try finding a more special – and less expensive – camp spot than the camping near Minnesund. So, we made a turn away from the road along the Mjösa lake to Minnesund, following a smaller road towards higher ground (I don’t remember what the road sign said, but perhaps Mark can fill inthe gaps). To our surprise, the dwindling road let up to a narrow fjord and follwed the waterside, revealing spot after spot of fantastic camp sites by the water. This location should not be very hard to find on the map as the thin lake was probably the lake closest to lake Mjösa – at the same side of Mjösa as Byru farm. If the surroundings are striking at the camping near Minnesund, that is nothing compared to this place. Strongly recommended, of course.

Anyway, I believe that the question in the first post of the topic has been answered. Wishing all future emerald hunters the very best of luck!

Here are the photos.

/Johannes Orstadius

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:25 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

Jo, impressive though your emerald find was, your research and writing skills are more impressive by far. An excellent excellent article! Thank you for sharing.

J-

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:12 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Thanks for so interesting report!!! :smt023

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:37 pm 
Gold Member

That is a very nice emerald.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:38 am 
Valued Contributor

Thank you! :P

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:01 am 
Valued Contributor

Thank you for very nice report. That tiny beautiful green crystal makes me want to feed myself to the mosquitoes next summer :-D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:16 am 
Platinum Member

Wonderful write-up! Thanks for taking the time to write it and post it!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:46 pm 
Established Member

Mark here, Johannes' companion on this magical trip.

I have not made the ring yet, but hopefully some time in the next few months. I have not yet asked my (Norwegian descent) sweetheart but hope too next year. I'll keep you all posted.

I have nothing to add to Jo's great report except to say that it was a true Indiana Jones adventure; and that Jo is the most amazing guide - in his gem knowledge, entrepreneurship, and generosity.

I have a few additional photos here - showing the quaint 'museum' and various signposts:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8s956xe997upfbr/UJswoeXKo5

Thank you all so so much for your thoughtful and heartwarming assistance.

Mark