January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Gemstone ID
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:47 pm 

So, I bought several instruments (refractometer, spectroscope,etc.)
and several professional books, only to learn not only that said instruments do not provide clear particulars but they cannot determine natural from synthetic,and furthermore that the market is flooded with simulants that are not easy to identify, either. Experienced gemologists and "reputable" jewelers. as well as "professional" labs are known to have made mistakes,according to what I have read. How about that? KO

Post subject: Re: Gemstone ID
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:21 pm 
Gold Member

Hi Keith,
No one is infallible when it comes to making determinations or providing lab reports as they are opinions based on their particular knowledge, and experience. But all of us in the trade work diligently to make the right call.

Your next best move would be to acquire proper training in using your equipment. And then, practice and practice some more, and then, maybe, you will be proficient.

I'm sure there is a point to your statements. Can you clarify as to what you are trying to attain? I am not intending to sound 'flip' in my comments, but am truly asking where are you headed with your comments?

http://www.rogerdery.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Keith.
We occasionally hear about mistakes when they are made but we don't talk about the thousands and thousands and thousands of correct identifications which are routinely made by gemological professionals.

In the majority of cases, correct identifications can be made using standard gemological tools.
Polariscope with coniscope
Refractometer
Spectroscope
Microscope
Specific Gravity Capability
SWLW UV

In some cases, especially regarding the nuance of treatments, standard tools are not enough and stones need to be sent to a lab with more sophisticated equipment. This may also be the case with identifying certain synthetics, like natural from flux-grown spinel.

One needs training and EXPERIENCE in order to understand proper use and interpretation of results.
(It would be somewhat analogous to ordering a Scalpel, Skin expander, Silicone implants, Dermatome and some books on plastic surgery online and offering a neighbor a facelift. Chances are, the results will not be good).

Is it feasible for you to take the GIA's Gem Identification Lab, a 5 day course which is offered in various cities throughout the year? I'd recommend it, if possible. :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:27 pm 
Gold Member

Quote:
So, I bought several instruments (refractometer, spectroscope,etc.)
and several professional books, only to learn not only that said instruments do not provide clear particulars but they cannot determine natural from synthetic,and furthermore that the market is flooded with simulants that are not easy to identify, either. Experienced gemologists and "reputable" jewelers. as well as "professional" labs are known to have made mistakes,according to what I have read. How about that? KO

well, if that was all that easy there would be no need for gemologists. There's a lot to learn, and then there's always more to be learnt on more specific matters, which is a good thing as it won't get boring. Also, theoretical learning is essential, but it is nothing without practical training.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:25 am 

To: Roger D, Barbra V, and Cascaillou
Thanks for your responses to my plea. I appreciate your advice.
It appears that there will be a long road to travel before reaching
my goal of successful investing in gemstones.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:06 am 
Site Admin

The road is a little bumpy but I KNOW you'll get there. Just keep at it. :D