Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Violet Blue Stone Diamond OR Dud
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:48 pm 
Valued Contributor

allen wrote:
Everything is available on Ebay, good, bad and mediocre. Just because something is purchased on Ebay does not make it suspect but I would be the first to admit that the junk outnumbers the treasures by far.

LOL couldnt say it better :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:03 pm 
Valued Contributor

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
Nikki, we don't know what it is.
Except we know it is not diamond.

Photographs tell us very little.
The specific photo which started this thread tell us nothing.
A gemologist needs to physically test a mystery stone, not speculate on unknowns.

couldnt say it better =D> the more test the better i always do 2 confirmation test(if i can) even if the first one is diagnostic. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:25 pm 
Platinum Member

Here is some advice from a person who is not a gemologist, just a collector, myself. Always, always, take anything you have in the way of jewelery & gemstones to a certified gemologist/appraiser, whether you just bought it, or someone gave it to you. Many family owned jewelery stores (boutiques) have their own gemologist/apprasier, the mall chain stores do not normally, they may have a gemologist, but his/her forte is in diamonds, & normally not colored gemstones or appraisals. It's best to take your ring to a small family owned store in person. :D

https://www.instagram.com/elvizprasiolite/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:49 pm 
Established Member

chevalier wrote:
Look, I am an absolute novice (at least to quantitative/determinative gem testing and identification, not necessarily of gemlore and their use in jewlery), but it seems to me that one can't trust solely on'es instruments: one collects as much data as possible from a variety of sources (instruments, physical properties, visual observation), rules out as much as possible, and then uses seasoned judgment to determine which gem species and variety it is, and how it grades or values.

C.

Hi everybody

Just sticking my oar in here. Your test stones are considered by me, one of the most valuable things you can use.

I love my diamond tester but only use it after everything else about a stone seems to be true. The final seal on my considered opinion ( which is not worth that much)

Always keep your tester tested. I keep mine locked away after use and never take it out with me I use my glass and my little knowledge, and of course the price in a decision to buy.

Take care all
Wildwood

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:53 am 
Established Member

ELVIS PRASIOLITE wrote:
Here is some advice from a person who is not a gemologist, just a collector, myself. Always, always, take anything you have in the way of jewelery & gemstones to a certified gemologist/appraiser, whether you just bought it, or someone gave it to you. Many family owned jewelery stores (boutiques) have their own gemologist/apprasier, the mall chain stores do not normally, they may have a gemologist, but his/her forte is in diamonds, & normally not colored gemstones or appraisals. It's best to take your ring to a small family owned store in person. :D

Hi remember though a Jeweller and Gemmologist are two different things.

A jeweller does not have to know what stone he is selling or setting. If he is setting he needs proof he is setting a diamond not glass or his insurance will not cover him.

These people rely on their suppliers and depending where that supplier is from it could be anybodies guess

They can give you a rough idea depending on their length of experience not fact even Gemmologists have to resort to labs at times.

A Gemmologist has to put their name behind valuations etc that's a lot bigger deal. Next time ask your jeweller to put his name where his mouth is. You will then get the right answer NO

Wildwood