January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: turning 3-d glasses into gemological tools?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:36 pm 

Hi all,

In a facetors forum that I frequent someone brought up the fact that there is at least one gem Id'ing tool you could make using the lenses out of mordern 3-d glasses. Are their other tools you can make using the same lenses? Can anyone shed more detail on making these tools?

Rod Bigelow

"To live is to war with trolls"-Ibsen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:13 pm 
Platinum Member

sounds like a Dr. Hanneman answer is forthcoming :D

Post subject: Mis-spoke
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:38 pm 

Ok, I realize now I used the wrong wording.....I don't mean gem ID'ing tools as much as a tool to find the....maximum duel refraction?...in stones such as zircon that has a strong duel refraction. You can use the lenses out of new 3-d glasses. I was wondering if any other uses can be made of these lenses and would love to see pictures of any "homemade" type of tool useful to the trade. I have picked up faceting as a hobby and so am naturally inclined to need gemological knowledge and training. Since GIA is a bit out of reach for me at the moment, I'll learn as much as I can untill such a time comes that I can pay for their certification.

Rod Bigelow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:00 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Hi

Welcome to the forum , although i can t comment on the tools part i wanted to let you know about the free info on gemology found right here to your left side of the screen -- called the gemology project this info is based on the Gem A course and is very helpful in learning gemology :wink:
Even have a course by Barabra Smigel and from Emporia state university and berkely courses -- all found on this site , lots of great info

Hopefully either Brian or Dr Hannenman will jump on , but sounds to me like it would be like a chelsea filter :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:26 pm 
Gold Member

No, the two lenses in most modern 3D glasses that you use at the movie theatre are circular polarizers... one is a right-handed circular polarizer and the other is a left-handed polarizer. These are a bit different from the usual linear polarizers, but they can be used more or less in the same manner... what is it that gemologists call it?... (quick look up in Gemology Project)... ah yes, a polariscope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:39 pm 

Brian wrote:
... what is it that gemologists call it?... (quick look up in Gemology Project)... ah yes, a polariscope.

Hi Brian,
I've been looking over things at the gemology project, very nice source of information. Gives me quite a few ideas about "poor mans tools" that I can make myself, but I need to find out more about circular polarization vs linear and how that may effect it. Funny the different uses of tools....in gemology the main goal using a polariscope is to identify or verify the stone, while in faceting people use the polariscope to orient the way they will cut the stone for either enhancing an effect, or diminishing the effect as much as possible.
I personally have become fascinated with the strong double refraction in zircon and want to cut stones to enhance that property. I've been looking around try to find out if anyone has figured out some cutting designs that take advantage of it, and if not, enough information so that I can possibly work on a design that does.

Rod Bigelow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:19 pm 
Gold Member

bluefrogstudios wrote:
but I need to find out more about circular polarization vs linear and how that may effect it.

My first reaction is "good luck with that!" Rather than try to understand the theory, I'd suggest acquiring a pair of circular polarizers and just play around with 'em, doing the same things as you'd do with the linear polarizers.

bluefrogstudios wrote:
Funny the different uses of tools....in gemology the main goal using a polariscope is to identify or verify the stone, while in faceting people use the polariscope to orient the way they will cut the stone for either enhancing an effect, or diminishing the effect as much as possible.

Good point... while a polariscope with circular polarizers would give similar "flash - no flash" reaction as you rotate a stone between them, I can't guarantee any conoscopy results. And I'm sure that orienting a gemstone for faceting would give different results than if you were using linear polarizers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:00 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Hi

If you interested in making gemological tool , you may want to see if you can find yourself a copy of Dr. Hannenman 's Guide to Affordable Gemology book , its a great book . It it out of print , i believe , but sometimes you find it on ebay or maybe the library .
Have fun experimenting :wink:

Post subject: Re: turning 3-d glasses into gemological tools?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:20 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Well, this is a really old topic, and I just wanted to contribute my personal experiences with 3D glasses.
As mentioned already, it works perfectly as a simple polariscope to distinguish between isotropic / anisotropic gemstones.
But it is also easy to built a sort of Gem A London-Dichroscope. Just take the left lens and the right lens, cut it in squares and stick them together (scotch tape) in the right position.
You just have to play around a little bit before you will find the right position. But after a few flips and turns it's possible to get perfect dichroscope. But keep in mind that these circular polarized filters only give the appropriate results in one direction. So if you flip such a self-made dichroscope, it won't work!
That's fun and it saves money. -Maybe the same is described in the Hanneman book, but unfortunately I don't have access to it.

Enjoy playing!

Just an appendix to this note:
I just found that it's even easier to turn 3D glasses into a dichroscope: Just take one lens and turn it. You just have to make sure that you look through the correct side.

I'm so happy that I can save my money. For me as a hobby lay this is just perfect.
Does anybody have an idea which of the filters offered here are useful and which not? Maybe it's also cheaper than buying a regular Chelsea- filter

Chris

Post subject: Re: turning 3-d glasses into gemological tools?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:00 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

I forgot to insert the links, here are so many sellers around that offer dichroic filters of any kind. Just check out these sites:
http://www.dichroicfilters.co.uk/
http://www.leefilters.com/architecture/arch-dl.html
http://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9.c ... oup_id=986

For the chelsea I found:
"The Chelsea filter is only able to transmit light in 2 regions of the spectrum: deep red (690nm) and near yellow-green (570nm)."
What about the other filters in use like ruby or tanzanite? Is it possible to conclude from the absorption spectrum of a certain ion to a suitable filter?