January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1016 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 68  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:21 pm 
Valued Contributor

Sorry, I am not really used to this kind of inclusions :shock: but may these be what we called in French "macles"? The kind of "lines" you can find typically in volcanic rubies and which cross each other at 90°. But these ones are really regularly disposed :shock: :?:

Best regards,
Christel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:23 pm 
Gold Member

Christel wrote:
Sorry, I am not really used to this kind of inclusions :shock: but may these be what we called in French "macles"? The kind of "lines" you can find typically in volcanic rubies and which cross each other at 90°. But these ones are really regularly disposed :shock: :?:

Best regards,
Christel

....aaahhhhhhhhh...thanks. Great info. Another suspect..

John M. Huff
CenSat Enterprises

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:17 pm 

John, I asked Hughes what he made of it:

That’s rhombohedral twinning in ruby, meeting at 87/93°. Quite common in ruby

there we go...

Thank you, Richard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:26 pm 
Gold Member

thanks, Tim!

I had just ruled our facet reflections after some more scope work, coming away more baffled! Saved me another headache!

Yes, Thanks Richsrd.

John M. Huff
CenSat Enterprises

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:12 pm 
Platinum Member

This brought back a GEM QUIZ thread from some time ago.

The heavily fractured cab in that thread still has some dominant twinning features similar to Ux4's microphotograph. The twinning planes seem quite uniform in one direction and less evenly structured with the intersecting planes. The angles are a little more severe as well. So maybe a combination of twinning and directional color zoning.

Frank's summary at the end of the thread may have been close.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:41 pm 

Now that we have John's rock labeled let's continue with this:

crystal solid in a ruby. 40x. Crossed polars. Stacked photo.

the crystal inclusion we're looking at here, would it have formed before it's host, with it's host or after it's host? (aka proto-, syn- or epigenetic)

Why?

JB, lately I'm finding out that I know jack about twinning. A few things I thought I knew proved wrong. As to what's going on in the quiz picture; I don't dare to venture a guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:48 pm 
Gold Member

Tim Spauwen, FGA wrote:
the crystal inclusion we're looking at here, would it have formed before it's host, with it's host or after it's host? (aka proto-, syn- or epigenetic)

I'm not gonna guess, Tim; I've been wrong so many times. Anyway, Great shot!

Helicon focus = good stacking software. Free 30 day trial. Helicon has a more friendly GUI, and you can get results quicker. I use Helicon as well as CombineZ, and play with a few others.

John M. Huff
CenSat Enterprises

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:20 pm 
Gold Member

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
Let's try to organize our "inclusion of the day" area because I think it's really a wonderful addition.
How can we complete one inclusion at a time before proceeding to the next?
Maybe we need a new category, with individual threads labeled :peridot, labradorite, evidence of Pb Diffusion, etc.

Thoughts?

I agree. I have some ideas. Let me ruminate.

John M. Huff
CenSat Enterprises

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:06 pm 

Let me know when what where and how with the structurizing :D I'll be here chucking pictures at you all in the meanwhile.

The same ruby with the protogenetic crystallite (those rounded corners give away that it received some beating before finding a safe haven in this piece of curndum) is showing us something that I'm interpreting as polysynthetic twinning. Remember, nothing has changed since yesterday, I still know jack, but I think I'm getting there.

viewed right along the planes

viewed at an angle to the planes

and then this last one at an angle as well. This one messes with my brain. Click on the picture to isolate it and stare at the enlarged image for a few seconds... it goes 3D on me!

does that work for you as well or am I just ready for a nap?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:55 pm 
Gold Member

Tim Spauwen, FGA wrote:

does that work for you as well or am I just ready for a nap?

Works for me. I have seen the effect often, only with a deep blue and a bright red adjacent. I thought I might have (worse) eye problems until a correspondent commented on it after I sent her Hubble galaxy images that I had processed in the early 90's. CRT days, and seems like it more pronounced on my pro Sonys of yesteryear. OH! Sorry Tim. You have no idea what crt is!

Great pics, great comments. Do you know the origin of the stone?

{well, actually, the pic that I first noticed the effect on was one of the Galileo images of Io, processed to detail volcanism}

John M. Huff
CenSat Enterprises

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:43 pm 
Gold Member

By ux4 at 2009-02-23

ML8550 BD Splan 4x, except larger 2 phase shot w/ Wolfe Wetzler10x .30 N.A. objective. Sony717

These are a series from a 3ct sapphire. What are the inclusions telling us? OOPS, don't know how that emerald slipped in!

John M. Huff
CenSat Enterprises

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:02 am 
Site Admin

Ux4 wrote:
What are the inclusions telling us?

Hi,
this stone took a trip into a furnace...
ciao
alberto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:51 pm 

Glad you see depth in that pic John, people here were telling me I was ripe for a few weeks off. Must be the non-accomodating left eye that does it for me (plastic lens in there).

About the origin of that stone: $1,- ebay ruby, filled Burmese I guess.

It was Christmas today: I got to unwrap some very precious goodies. :D

My new scope, a Wild M400 is sitting on my desk looking pretty darn handsome! It will take a while before I will be shooting through it but just looking through it is a treat as well.

But the M3Z got an upgrade too (had to buy her a present to make up for the polygamy I'm about to conduct). I had parfocality and vignetting troubles with the old set-up. The image through the eyepiece wasn't in focus when the camera was and vice versa. I had to peer through the viewfinder trying to get a sharp shot which wasn't easy. That got solved by a 0.32x step down lens and a different 'adapter'. I can now look, focus and take a picture, all in a few seconds. The only thing I need to worry about is lighting and exposure. Sweet as!

It's becoming quite a tower:

No post without a gem's interior here so I took a quick shot of the first fingerprint I came accross without looking through the viewfinder (click on image to view detail):

pretty cool fingerprint too. Note how a lot of the fluid 'chambers' are interlinked by very thin channels. Some of the chambers are halfway towards in their metamorphism into negative crystals, their walls are starting to get regular. Apart from the (different, immiscible) fluids there is some gases and solids in there as well.
Blue sapphire, heated. Darkfield, 50x approx. Wild M3Z.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:34 am 
Gold Member

Tim Spauwen, FGA wrote:

It was Christmas today: I got to unwrap some very precious goodies. :D

Christmas, I guess! Very considerate of you appease your other concubine. I swear I can't wait to see your souped up M400.

I have not converted my M400. The damn thing is MINT, and I haven't the heart, yet and maybe never, to do the surgery. The camera is unused, save the two frames I shot. After the second shot the MPS55 ( which is mint as well) blew a fuse. Couldn't believe it/ However, I have not fixed it because I thought I was going straight to digital.

I was thinking of using the 55 in a digital set up, but was told the effort would be futile. SO, I hope you will share your fix with me. BTW, I have thought of swapping the M400, but....I'll shut up and post a pic of my set-up in a day or two. I am using a custom Leitz Aristophot base. It is MASSIVE, but worth a look - impressive.

Excellent shot of the finger print. Cool features.

AND, since you said a pic should accompany a post take a peek at the Merelani Mint below - a duck and a duck pond inclusion. gemnut provided the stone for a series that I shot before it was passed along to another GO member.

By ux4 at 2009-02-25

By ux4 at 2009-02-25

EPI and xmission, tricked xmission xpolars account for colors, Meiji ML8500, Sony 717, Stacked series

John M. Huff
CenSat Enterprises

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:47 am 
Gold Member

The duck reminds me of a really nice watercolor.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1016 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 68  Next