Mindat.org Conference 2014 Madagascar 28 May 2014 - 13 June 2014
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: AIGS Lab copper testing ability
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:39 am 
Valued Contributor

I was at the AIGS lab this past week but they are unable to test for copper in tourmaline. There are issues with their machine that they hope to be able to correct soon, but as of now they don't have this capability.

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:17 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Dear davegimchee,

Thank you for your positive comment.

I am happy to announce you that the manufacturing problem our instrument had has now been corrected and we are fully able to test for copper in tourmaline.

Thank you again trusting and supporting AIGS Gem Lab.

Dr. Laurent Massi

Post subject: that's great!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:58 am 
Valued Contributor

Actually the comment was neither positive nor negative. It was informational. As a member of the trade and a participant on this public forum I choose to make information available to fellow dealers that is of importance to them.

I am very pleased to hear that your issues have been resolved! And it's great that this was taken care of so quickly. I have had a lot of good experiences with the AIGS lab in the past and hope to have more in the future. As many know, your certificates are very competitively priced and you have a solid reputation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:59 am 
Established Member

I'm glad you solved the problem Dr. Massi.

It was a shame you couldn't test for those coppers in the Tourmalines when you were here Dave. Are you planning to hang on to them until you can cert. them to be Paraiba then next time you make your trip here?, assuming there is really copper in the stones of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:02 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

AND it's great to see Dr Massi on the forum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:44 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

I've changed the title of this thread. Since it was a short-term problem, it doesn't seem right that people casually browsing the forum might think that it was an ongoing situation.

Post subject: thanks!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:28 am 
Valued Contributor

Thanks for fixing that Karim. I don't want the title of the thread to mislead either. On the other hand, when I went into the AIGS lab last month I had been informed by two different members of this forum that AIGS was fully able to test for copper which was not the case. Whether information is accurate or not, the internet can disseminate it quickly!

I think having Dr Massi on here will be a huge benefit for those of us active in the trade. When I spoke with him in December he pointed out some significant differences between AIGS cuprian certs and those from other labs. If my memory serves me correctly it has to do with the presence of manganese but better that we get that straight from the source.

I am also curious if AIGS uses the term "Paraiba" on these certificates or if they choose "cuprian" instead. And any information on the testing procedure would be most welcome on the forum I am sure. Is the Lab Harmonizing Committee currently working out some of the details of nomenclature, and will this affect AIGS certificates in the near future?

Post subject: Re: thanks!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:06 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

davegimchee wrote:
Is the Lab Harmonizing Committee currently working out some of the details of nomenclature, and will this affect AIGS certificates in the near future?

Hi Davegimchee,
The LMHC has already worked out the nomenclature for "Paraiba tourmalines". You can find the worksheet at the following link:
http://www.gubelinlab.com/pdf/LMHC_InformationSheet_6_Paraiba.pdf
You can find also all the LMHC worksheet at this link:
http://www.gubelinlab.com/lmhc.asp

All the best,

www.fieldgemology.org
www.conservationgemology.org

The views expressed here are V. Pardieu’s opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of GIA Laboratory Bangkok (http://www.giathai.net)where he is an employee since Dec 2008.

Post subject: thanks!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:20 pm 
Valued Contributor

Thanks Vincent!

So can a stone be called "cuprian" but not "paraiba" if it has copper but no manganese? And do you know if there are labs in the trade that use both of these terms? I would imagine that it is in the best interest of the lab to use both. A dealer wants a "good" cert for his stone even if there is no manganese, right?