January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Tucson 2009
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:52 pm 
Valued Contributor

So I have the go ahead from the hubby for Tucson 2009! I cannot wait!!

Just how good is the show though for someone excluded from the wholesale shows? I have been to loads of wholesale shows in the past in asia, and when I worked for a store here in the US - so just a bit gutted that I can't get into so many at Tucson.

Cheap but comfy digs? any suggestions? and how long to stay?

So who else is doing Tucson in 2009

Lucy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:11 pm 
Site Admin

I'm going.
I already booked a room.
I'm not usually this organized, but after the last hotel I had, 20 miles away from the show, I decided to be proactive

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:53 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Cheap digs in Tucson during the show? Only if you are accustomed to paying over $130 a night for Super 8 or Motel 6 grade accommodations.

Unless of course the prices are down this year but I would not count on it.

I think that you will find many shows that are very interesting, some that are theoretically wholesale have pretty loose control and others have many dealers who do both wholesale and retail.

From a gemstone perspective not going to the AGTA, GJX, GLDA and WGJ will just mean that you have to wade through LOTS more product to find good stuff. But as long as you enjoy wading that should be OK.

We exhibit at the GJX which is wholesale only and pretty nice and the Pueblo show which is an interesting venue with a little of everything, hippies and crystals, rough and cutters and a few high end gem dealers.

Our goal is wholesale although some retail people get into the pueblo.

Sometimes the Pueblo actually has halfway decent room rates and it is right in the center of the action so you might want to check them out. It is actually the "Pueblo Gem Show at the Riverpark Inn" so you might want to check under Riverpark online unless they have changed their name on us again!

https://www.johndyergems.com
Artisitic and designer cut gems

https://www.ultratecfacetingmachine.com
Authorized Ultra Tec dealer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:49 pm 
Valued Contributor

Yeah wow - they're pretty expensive at that time!! Oh well, guess I will either look for a room buddy or stay in a hovel!

Which are the shows not to be missed? (wholesale or retail) I'd like to get an idea of how long to stay, I was thinking a week.

I'm deffinately looking forward to seeing your gems in person John, I have drooled often over them on the net!!

Post subject: Tucson shows
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:45 pm 
Gold Member

Lucy- wrote:
Yeah wow - they're pretty expensive at that time!! Oh well, guess I will either look for a room buddy or stay in a hovel!

Which are the shows not to be missed? (wholesale or retail) I'd like to get an idea of how long to stay, I was thinking a week.

I'm deffinately looking forward to seeing your gems in person John, I have drooled often over them on the net!!

Hi Lucy,
Hotels....
If you do an internet search for hotels, you will find the lower end in the $140 range. Most of the mid-range hotels are now in the $180 to $200 range - per night. The Marriott and Hilton types are roughly $250 to $300.

Which shows....
There are roughly 40 different venues, most in hotels. To review all the choices you could check here:
http://www.tucsonshowguide.com/tsg
You will find locations, map of Tucson, show dates, show floor plans, vendor listings, registration materials, and all things gem show.

How long to stay....
This all depends on your criteria for participating. Most folks say that three days are not enough and a week is just about right. I've worked the show for 16 days and feel like I would never want to do that again. For me though, I go looking for rough so I generally need 4 to 5 days of actual buying time. Then I usually allow a couple of extra days for visiting and schmoozing.

If you are focused on the high end goods, may be best to arrive on, or be available on Wednesday the 4th of February [through the 8th, 9th or 10th]. This is when the two major shows are open - and where John Dyer can be found :) . Also, beginning that Wednesday is when the majority of the quality seminars begin at the AGTA facility.

Hope you find this helpful.

http://www.rogerdery.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:53 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hi Roger! thanks for the info. I think I will probably stay 6 or 7 nights and try and get somthing at around the $150 a night mark if I can :shock:

I'm not a gem dealer or anything yet, still studying - so I really won't be buying too much - just a few bits. I just want to make sure that I have the chance to visit Tucson in 2009 as I may not be in the US for the next one.

Post subject: re: Tucson travels
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:16 am 
Gold Member

Lucy- wrote:
Hi Roger! thanks for the info. I think I will probably stay 6 or 7 nights and try and get somthing at around the $150 a night mark if I can :shock:

I'm not a gem dealer or anything yet, still studying - so I really won't be buying too much - just a few bits. I just want to make sure that I have the chance to visit Tucson in 2009 as I may not be in the US for the next one.

Hi Lucy,
I failed to mention in the previous post regarding methods of getting around Tucson. Many people do not rent a vehicle as there are a series of sponsored shuttles operating during the gem shows. If you happen to rent a room at / or near one of the participating hotels, you will have the luxury of easy access to the free shuttles. There will be several major connecting points or hubs that you will be able to transfer from one 'color line' to another - allowing you to cover all the areas of the city. Can find more info regarding the shuttle service and their routes on the Tucson Show Guide website.

In addition, there is still major re-construction of the interstate highway in and around Tucson, so you may find renting a vehicle not as valuable as in previous years.

You are going to have a great experience!

http://www.rogerdery.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:26 pm 
Gold Member

Lucy,

You can find some useful information at http://www.faceters.com/askjeff/ .
Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to find the information about the Tucson show. You'll also find links to a lot of other useful information, particularly about faceting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:18 pm 
Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone! Going to see if I can use some of my friends hotel points to book the hotel! - although I'm betting the hotels won't accept points for these few weeks! DOH!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:49 pm 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

I'm planning to attend again this year! I'll have a hubby this time, though, so I won't be able to "room" with anyone else :P . We haven't made reservations yet, but if all else fails, my hubby has an aunt that lives in the desert about 30 miles south of Tucson. Quite a drive, but would be worth it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:44 pm 
Valued Contributor

I have a hubby too! leaving him at home though! he's an accountant!!! not the best shopping partner!!!

Any ladies here wanting to "room" let me know!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:15 am 
Valued Contributor

if worst comes to worst and you want to get into said wholesale shows, I can take you in as a visitor. Pm me if you want to organize something, any registered exhibitor can take in a visitor or two.

-Mick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:16 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Tucson is coming! Woohoooo! :D

(In answer to a previous question that I see I missed a long time ago, I exhibit at the Pueblo Gem show and the GJX. While the GJX is open that is where most of our larger premium merchandise is with the Pueblo being the smaller pieces as it does not have near the traffic during those 6 days.

All this info plus maps can be seen on my site by clicking the shows button on the left of every page.)

https://www.johndyergems.com
Artisitic and designer cut gems

https://www.ultratecfacetingmachine.com
Authorized Ultra Tec dealer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:10 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hi Lucy, if you want into the wholesale shows you just need a re-sale certificate (free in most states) and a business card; $25.00 or so to print. If you fall in love with something over-budget, but necessary, the wholesale price will help. Even in the shows open to the public you usually can get a dealer price on the good stuff. I Drive out there and stay 20 miles South in Green Valley for $110/night. May take my bicycle also this year, a good idea if I can find places to chain it. Exciting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:30 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hello Lucy-

We are going to be exhibiting at the Executive Inn Gem and Mineral Show on Drachman ( The Citrine bus route stops there.) Please stop by and say hello. We hope to have some interesting demonstrations and conversations from our varied guests.

Below is a quick snapshot of activities planned:

Tucson 2009

Algemco invites you 'all to stop by Room 134 Annex of The 2009 Executive Inn Gem and Mineral Show in Tucson
January 31 through February 14,2009.
The Executive Inn's address is 333 W Drachman
Tucson Az.
It is on the Citrine line for the free gem show bus.

- Outstanding facet grade rough to purchase. Free rough is going to be available as well as grab bags and raffles for rough and cut stones. (I will never be able to cut all the rough I have in my personal inventory and I intend on giving away at least a half kilogram of flawless facet grade natural rough that is 1 gram or larger size pieces. Feb 1 - 7)

- Polishing laps and demonstrations of polishing techniques for colored stones. ( Just what is 'Super Slick' and how do you use it?) ( If you have a product or technique that you want to present to other faceters, contact us to schedule a demo time.)

- Meet other faceters and share your tips and techniques during the daily meet, greet, learn and share sessions. (Currently scheduled for 2 - 4 pm daily.) Hopefully you can share what you have learned with less experienced faceters and pehaps get some answers to questions you might have...like how do I use GemCad to stretch a design to fit this awful rough that somebody just gave me? :-) or how do I determine if the rough I have is big enough to be used with a particular design. or If caliper grease is not used on my calipers, what's caliper grease used for? How do I solve my transfer and tilting problems?

- See diamond repair, cutting and polishing. Also one of the latest instruments for spectral analysis for gem ID is expected to be demonstrated. ( Feb 5, 6, and 7th only.)

- A new affordable concave faceting attachment is to be introduced at the show. Demos and trials daily. Meet the inventor of this wonderful device! This attachment is advertised to fit most faceting machines. The low cost is designed to make concave faceting available to most faceters.

- We hope to have multiple faceting machines set up and we will be cutting and polishing stones for customers as well as for demonstration purposes.

see you there.

-Terry

Terry Henning
Algemco
871 County Road 6
Prattville, Al 36067

www.HassamVentures.com
www.Algemco.com
www.Turbofan.US