All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Koivula to Lecture at Bowers Museum
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:09 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Koivula to Lecture at Bowers Museum
By JCK Staff
Posted on March 4, 2011

The Gemological Institute of America announced that chief gemologist John Koivula will present Macro and Micro: Inclusions and Gem Formation on March 19 at Bowers Museum in Santa Ana, Calif. The presentation will be followed by a reception.

Koivula has authored or coauthored more than 800 articles on gemstone inclusions and related topics. He also worked with the late Dr. Edward J. Gübelin to create all three volumes of Photoatlas of Inclusions in Gemstones. Koivula’s book The MicroWorld of Diamonds covers the microscopic world of natural diamonds, synthetics, simulants, and enhancements. He has been a contributor to several other books including the Glossary of Geology, the fifth edition of Robert Webster's Gems: Their Sources, Descriptions and Identification, GIA’s Diamond Dictionary, and Geologica: Earth’s Dynamic Forces.

The lecture will begin at 1:30 p.m. on March 19. Tickets, which include admission to the lecture, reception, and all-day access to the museum, can be purchased in advance for $25 from Lesley Ann Hamilton at lahamilton@bowers.org. Lecture-only tickets are $15 ($12 for Bowers members) and can be purchased on the museum website.

John Koivula, GIA Chief Gemologist (photo courtesy of GIA)

Post subject: Re: Koivula to Lecture at Bowers Museum
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:20 pm 

John's stunning images and abundant passion for the subject were in synch today - I enjoyed everything and learned a few things, as always. The addition of a reception meant that I could catch up with a few people I hadn't seen for a while.

I'm looking forward to John's contribution to the Sinkankas Symposium on diamonds next month. There is a stellar line-up of speakers. 8)