Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Scientific gemology symposium - Italy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:26 am 
Site Admin

hi,

The first italian scientific gemological symposium is scheduled for june 15-16 2010. It's organized by the Rome and Bari University, for infos take a look here:
http://musmin.geo.uniroma1.it/convegnogemmologia/
hope some of our italian member would attend. :D

ciao
alberto

Post subject: Re: Scientific gemology symposium - Italy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:52 pm 
Gold Member

Alberto wrote:
hope some of our italian member would attend. :D

Cool, I know a few people talking there... There's also my Italian PhD advisor... I hope you'll enjoy his talk about neutron diffraction. A technique readily available for the average gemologist... :) AFAIK he never used that technique for gemology in strict sense. My guess is that he will talk about archaeometry... Be prepared to hear about copper axes! (That is an interesting study anyway)

And as far as I remember Ilaria did a reasonably good job on beryl using IR spectroscopy. She was a PhD student in Milan when I was there.

No: I won't be attending it. In those days I'll be leaving Japan or already in the Bay Area, anyway. \:D/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:52 am 
Site Admin

maialetto wrote:
No: I won't be attending it. In those days I'll be leaving Japan or already in the Bay Area, anyway. \:D/

sorry to hear, it could be a good occasion to meet you, and, we will have even Brendan Laurs and Ron Rinsgrud lectures... can't wait! :D
ciao
alberto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:59 am 
Valued Contributor

i cant make it...very sorry..
hope there will be available some paper with the abstract of the seminars...

maybe if some one is going could post it here..very much appreciated...
:)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:25 am 
Site Admin

Well, the convention was really interesting, it was the first attempt to establish a national scientific gemological network which could be very useful to connect the university researcher world and the gemological one, many of the lectures were arranged with this intent by the researchers. I was amazed and pleased to see how many young researchers are actually working hard on issues that could be gemologically relevant, just to have a clue about the level displayed i’ll post some of the headlines:

XRDT Topography: growing marks and fingerprints of the gemological materials (G. Tempesta, Bari University)

FTIR Spectrometry applyed to the gemological materials analysis (G. Della Ventura, Rome 3 University)

RAMAN spectrometry for the identification and characterization of the gemological materials (C. Rinaudo, Alessandria)

UV-VIS Absorption Spectroscopy of the gemological materials (A. Paleari, Milano Bicocca University)

HRTEM: Colors of the gems (C. Ferraris, Paris, France)

Identification of diffusion treatment by LIBS elemental analisys (A. De Giacomo, Bari University)

gemological materials characterization by LA-ICP-MS (D. Bleiner, Berne, Switzerland)

Non destructive analisys: FTIR spectrometer ALPHA –R (D. Sali, Bruker)

plus we had some other more gemological oriented lectures:

mineral growth in nature and in lab , the beryl case (I. Adamo, Milano)

Chemistry and Physiscs of treatment (D. Ayò, CNR, Padova)

Gemological importance of the mineral and gem museum collections: the “France Blue Diamond” case (originally scheduled to be held by F. Farges but Lectured by C. Ferraris, Paris)

Oplontis archeological emeralds, chemical and spectroscopy data for the origin determination (C. Aurisicchio, S. Nunziante, Rome università)

And, of course our special guest lectures:

Emerald Treatments and emerald gemology (R. Rinsgrud, California)

Scientific gemology: The state of the art (B. Laurs, GIA, San Diego)

then there was a 3 + hour long open table discussion about the gemological certification rules and laws ….

now you’ve to think ALL was covered in 1 day and half…. the poor researchers and lecturers were forced to shrink their contribute in not more than 20-30 min each…. and it was really a pity cos, IMHO it would need more than a week to go a little deep inside every issue but, you know, you cannot hold a thing like that for a week, there are many problems about that.
However, since it was the 1st one and it was indeed a SUCCESS i hope the next one will last long and more time will be reserved to the lectures. As for me, i must admit that i feel lost sometimes, and wasn’t able to methabolize all the stuffs in the way i would, however, after a little talk with others i realized at least i wasn’t the only one…

Prestigious “Accademia dei Lincei” graciously provided for the 1st day convention accomodation, here’s Brendan Laurs during his REALLY interesting lecture there:

2nd day the convention moved to the geology faculty of the “la Sapienza” university of Rome, here Ron Rinsgrud taking his AMAZING lecture:

the day after i had a chance to spend some time with Brendan, Ron and his gracious wife Linda, we had really a good time

My BIG Thank you goes to my friend Michele Macrì, Curator of the mineralogical museum of “La Sapienza” university of Rome, who was one of the passionate organizers of the event, to Adriana Maras (Prof La sapienza Rome university) and Giancarlo della Ventura (Prof Rome 3 University), Eugenio Scandale (Prof. Bari University) and to Elisabetta Amore.
I really hope this will be only the 1st of a loooong series of similar activities.

ciao
alberto

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:13 pm 
Site Admin

What a wonderful opportunity.

Are there any sites posting more information of the topics?
I understand Ron Ringsrud's book was recently translated into Italian. Did you see a copy?

I would be interested in learning more about the archaeological discussion on emerald origin.
Did Ron have some insight on that topic as well?

Actually I would be interested in knowing more on all the topics.

I love the photos.
Thanks Alberto!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:42 am 
Valued Contributor

it all sounds so interesting!!
hopefully ill be there the next one...

ps: is G.Tempesta on this forum?
if yes please write me back...its me..your ex teacher :))

ciao