A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: GIA Bangkok 31st Gemstone Gathering: Rubies from Mozambique
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:35 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Dear all,

I'm happy to annonce you that on for the 31th GIA gemstone Gatherings,
I will give a presentation in Bangkok with my colleagues Pantaree Lomthong and Jitlapit Thanachakaphad about the

"New rubies from Northern Mozambique".

The 31th gathering will be as usual at the Murano room 2nd Fl., in the Tawana Hotel, 80 Surawongse Rd., Bangkok on Wednesday, December 23, 2009. Beginning at 18:00

For more detail (the page will be online soon, but as I leave tonight again to Mozambique post here in advance...)

http://www.giathai.net/news.php

The presentation will be about the two expeditions I already had there in September and November 2009 and also about the next one as I'm leaving tonight to Mozambique with two friends: Richard W. Hughes and Mark Smith.

Now here is a stone for those who think that Mozambique ruby just means lead glass fileld rubies. Here is a 10 carat rough ruby from Mozambique, the stone had no fissures and as only inclusions were a tiny transparent crystal (probably amphibole) and several short and broad needles...
The color was just amazing!

Hoping to see you there!

www.fieldgemology.org
www.conservationgemology.org

The views expressed here are V. Pardieu’s opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of GIA Laboratory Bangkok (http://www.giathai.net)where he is an employee since Dec 2008.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:24 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Dear all,

Yesterday morning I returned from Mozambique where with Richard Hughes and Mark Smith, we were finally able to visit the new mining area near Montepuez.
It was all an adventure to go there, as it took me 3 expeditions to get the support of the people controling the mining area and to be allowed to visit the mining area where between 5,000 to 10,000 were reported to have worked recently.

We spent 2 days visiting the mining area and were able to collect some reference specimens to update the GIA Laboratory reference gemstone collection and continue our work on origin determination of gemstones.

I just gave tonight a short presentation about these 2 new deposits at the ICA meeting in Chanthaburi (Thailand) and will now get everything ready for the main presentation which will take place on Dec. 23rd in Bangkok at Tawana Hotel as usual.

Hoping to see you there. We will try to make it very nice!

All the best,

www.fieldgemology.org
www.conservationgemology.org

The views expressed here are V. Pardieu’s opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of GIA Laboratory Bangkok (http://www.giathai.net)where he is an employee since Dec 2008.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:49 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Hi Vincent,

Thank you for your post and the picture of the magnificent Mozambique ruby rough.
Indeed it changes my opinion about rubies from this source as all the samples I had seen before were included and/or glass filled and rather small.
Wow!!!!

I wish I could be in Thailand to attend the 31th gathering and the presentation on the "New rubies from Norther Mozambique".

Have a good holiday season and all my best wishes for a happy and healthy yNew Year 2010.

Lyric