January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Good morning... Kassoy is here
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:38 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Yes, Kassoy is here. The leader in Jewelry supply. I'm the new technician here at Kassoy. I do all the Colorimeter repairs. DC3000 and Colibri. I've read some horrifying threads about us back in 2006/07. Wanted to fix it and be a known vendor here on GemologyOnline in case you needed help with anything. Always good to talk with the horse.

If you guys have any questions please don't hesitate to ask..

Kassoy

Attachments:
File comment: Logo
logo-big.gif
logo-big.gif [ 4.54 KiB | Viewed 1446 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Good morning... Kassoy is here
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:57 am 
Site Admin

Fair enough.
Normally, we do NOT allow self promotion, but we will use this as a platform for discussion of repairs and restorations for Colorimetes and related products.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:28 am 
Platinum Member

I am the person that wrote a lot of that and it is rather unlikely that you can fix it.

I did not share ALL the gory details here because I did not think it was mostly appropriate or of interest to list membership.

I sent a Gran to your company and was charged I think it was $160 and very little of what I sent it for was actually done. Instead I was told it was not fixable and I should buy Sarin Colibri and they would give me $600 trade in on the "dead" Gran.
I practically had to threaten them to get them to send my unit back.

The "unreasonable" list of things I wanted done to the unit were as follows:
1) Install new lamp. This was done. Takes less than five minutes and zero technician skill. The lamp costs about $5.00 Its an Osram lamp. They did do this.

2) Upgrade the software. Takes one minute with Gran program. Connect a serial null modem cable to the back and punch load on the Gran software upgrader program.
Time , about three minutes, technician skill involved , approaching zero. This was done too. For these two items they charged me $160 or whatever it was.

3)Asked them to touch up the Barium Sulfate coating in the integrating sphere. I was told this would be "too big a mess" even though it does not require anymore skill than painting nail polish. It was not done, because Kassoy was not interested in supporting the Gran.

4) Calibrate the unit: I was told the unit was not able to be calibrated. This turned out not to be true.(that is a big fat lie!!) The engineer at Sarin helped me calibrate it by sending me a file and the software to push it into the instrument. Did not take much skill. I did have a set of master stones here and when we loaded the new file it read them perfectly. Presumably a service department having a number of these things going through should know enough about them to repair them. IF you are really interested in repairing them as opposed to trying to force unsuspecting jeweler's and diamond dealers to upgrade them.

5)Furthermore they broke the case of the Gran. They did replace that when I complained about it. But a decent service department never would have shipped it broken.

My complaints went right to the top of your firm(in a very professional and non irate fashion) , and the tech department was told that they should have no further contact with me. Apparently this came from ms. Slutwiskiowski or what ever her name is. They said there would be no satisfying me which really was not true and unfair. Probably IS true now. You could start with a refund and an apology.

So my opinion evolved that your service department is either incompetent or crooked or both. That is what my experience was and it was confirmed by interactions with the CEO of the company.

Later I managed to prevail on a decent engineer at Sarin in Israel who helped me correct some configuration file errors in the unit. It then worked PERFECTLY proving that the Kassoy diagnosis that is was not worth fixing was fraudulent. It still is working perfectly. No thanks to the Krooks at Kassoy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:19 pm 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

There are other problems with Kassoy, but since that information was shared on the "other" forum, it shall not be posted here, just mentioned.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:35 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
Fair enough.
Normally, we do NOT allow self promotion, but we will use this as a platform for discussion of repairs and restorations for Colorimetes and related products.

Sounds good to me.. Was not advertising, just making me available if anyone needs help.. We will be having our own forum shortly for this exact reason. Not just for Colorimeters, printers as well..

G4Lab wrote:
I am the person that wrote a lot of that and it is rather unlikely that you can fix it.

I did not share ALL the gory details here because I did not think it was mostly appropriate or of interest to list membership.

I sent a Gran to your company and was charged I think it was $160 and very little of what I sent it for was actually done. Instead I was told it was not fixable and I should buy Sarin Colibri and they would give me $600 trade in on the "dead" Gran.
I practically had to threaten them to get them to send my unit back.

The "unreasonable" list of things I wanted done to the unit were as follows:
1) Install new lamp. This was done. Takes less than five minutes and zero technician skill. The lamp costs about $5.00 Its an Osram lamp. They did do this.

2) Upgrade the software. Takes one minute with Gran program. Connect a serial null modem cable to the back and punch load on the Gran software upgrader program.
Time , about three minutes, technician skill involved , approaching zero. This was done too. For these two items they charged me $160 or whatever it was.

3)Asked them to touch up the Barium Sulfate coating in the integrating sphere. I was told this would be "too big a mess" even though it does not require anymore skill than painting nail polish. It was not done, because Kassoy was not interested in supporting the Gran.

4) Calibrate the unit: I was told the unit was not able to be calibrated. This turned out not to be true.(that is a big fat lie!!) The engineer at Sarin helped me calibrate it by sending me a file and the software to push it into the instrument. Did not take much skill. I did have a set of master stones here and when we loaded the new file it read them perfectly. Presumably a service department having a number of these things going through should know enough about them to repair them. IF you are really interested in repairing them as opposed to trying to force unsuspecting jeweler's and diamond dealers to upgrade them.

5)Furthermore they broke the case of the Gran. They did replace that when I complained about it. But a decent service department never would have shipped it broken.

My complaints went right to the top of your firm(in a very professional and non irate fashion) , and the tech department was told that they should have no further contact with me. Apparently this came from ms. Slutwiskiowski or what ever her name is. They said there would be no satisfying me which really was not true and unfair. Probably IS true now. You could start with a refund and an apology.

So my opinion evolved that your service department is either incompetent or crooked or both. That is what my experience was and it was confirmed by interactions with the CEO of the company.

Later I managed to prevail on a decent engineer at Sarin in Israel who helped me correct some configuration file errors in the unit. It then worked PERFECTLY proving that the Kassoy diagnosis that is was not worth fixing was fraudulent. It still is working perfectly. No thanks to the Krooks at Kassoy.

I'm new here at Kassoy. Replaced the technician that was here for ten years. Back then, the DC3000 was the best of the best and still is today. However the parts wear out. Over time, the device that actually does the measuring fails to measure correctly. I've been here for about 2 months, and I've had 6 DC3000's pass my way, and I was only able to repair two of them. Part of the calibration is the IMIN has to be below 240, and the LMP 19-20 and stay there, it can't be all over the place, which happens with a dead unit. If the unit appears to keep those steady the INTEGRATION is the next step. If it does not pass this test, we can't complete the calibration and actually calibrate it with diamonds. Its a very lengthy process. Takes about 4 hours to complete if everything works perfectly.

Joe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:11 am 
Platinum Member

Well Joe welcome and thank you for having the courage to reveal your name.

My anger was not really directed against your predecessor technician who I did have some interactions with and who did try at various times to help. (Though I did wonder how much he knew about the internal workings of the Gran , which did not appear to be too much. He seemed mainly to be able to change the bubbs, paint the sphere's and update the software and not too much else from what I recall. It's getting to be quite a while ago)

It would appear to me that there has been some sort of change of policy perhaps from Sarin since they have gotten a lot of bad feeling from people worldwide about this policy of trying to trash the Gran.

Actually the one I sent to Kassoy was a DC 2000fs but this is almost identical to the 3000 model. There are differences in the computer board and the software versions are not compatible if I understood things correctly. But a side by side comparison shows a majority of parts are identical with differences only in paint color and a few chips on the computer main board on the left.

Kassoy has also received contempt perhaps that is due to Sarin since they are in bed on this together. It would not be the first time a manufacturer enlisted the aid of their distribution network to move from one product to the next generation in a perhaps less than ethical way.

Subsequent to the issue referred to above another DC3000 came across my desk. After discovering a hardware problem I sent it to Sarin. They sent me all kinds of emails about , it was in the service dept. and there were no more boards and this and that and the other thing. Then I received the parcel back with a Israel post tag on it saying delivery had been refused. (One of the emails talked about a postal strike as a cause of delay) And when I opened it I discovered that the black hot melt glue that I used to seal the parcel (An official Gran Box that Kassoy used to send my unit back) it was unopened. So all the emails were bald faced calculated LIES. These did come from Sarin not Kassoy.

The people at Kassoy who treated me very shabbily were 1) a woman with a Latina name, and accent, who seemed to be something like a service mamger , who told me the lies that the unit could not be calibrated and I KNEW she was lying and 2) the CEO of the company who after I sent her a professional and non-hostile note describing my experiences told the service department that I was an unsatisfiable customer. This was a leap that was uncalled for. Aside from charging $160 for changing a light bulb. (ie. open a door on the bottom and loosen and tighten three screws, as you know)

As I said its not the first time that sales organizations have "pushed" a product. Ocean Optics responds to calls about their earlier spectrometers with offers of upgrade to later ones. But they didn't try to tell you that your unit can't be fixed. They still will service them after trying to talk you out of them. At least a couple of years ago they would.

Since that issue two different Grans have come across my bench. I have sourced some of the chips and several other components that could be responsible for inability to get stable readings on the parameters you mention above. If you can't fix them I would be pleased to look at them. For a fee of course. You could refer your customers to me if you find you can't fix them. It is also rather a simple matter to to connect them to an external fiber optic spectrometer. That would be much more economical than upgrading to the rather pricey Colibri. I also have a standing offer of $200 for the carcass of a Gran whether working or not. The Gran is of a vintage where board level repair is still possible. (not always the case on newer items.)

And yes it may take some time to calibrate a Gran but most of that time it is just sitting there being allowed to temperature stabilize. It does NOT take four hours of billable technician labor.